Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • CUT GATE – who's cleaned the ascent?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

alex222 – Member
    Beyond the slabs that go along derwent edge from cakes of bread(ish)?

What does Derwent Edge have to do with Cut Gate? Personally I avoid that after rain too…

alex222
    Free Member

What does Derwent Edge have to do with Cut Gate? Personally I avoid that after rain too

Well for starters you can easily ride both in one ride and i frequently do; and secondly read the previous page.

thepodge
    Free Member

This forum needs a block username function for threads like this.

I find cut gate is a once every 2 years ride. There are far better rides in the area that hold up much better in the wet.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’m genuinely confused… I see lots of talk of Cut Gate and suggestions that it should be avoided in the wet, which is a sentiment I agree with. I’d also agree with avoiding WLT / Derwent Edge. Mainly ‘cos it’s no fun!

thepodge
    Free Member

North America moorland is fully fubar because of people using it in the wet, some parts are 10 foot wider than they were two years ago.

tracknicko
    Free Member

that’s a shame, but then it is one of the most popular paths, in THE most popular national park.

mountain bikes are excluded from 95% of the peak, but i’m sorry to say if you visit those places the type of trail degradation your talking about remains…

thepodge
    Free Member

It is / was the girlfriend’s fave loop as she’s not hugely into mountain biking and it’s relatively easy as a figure of 8. We rarely go there now, I’m teaching her to ride & plan rides with trail conditions & erosion in mind which is sinking in now she’s seen the damage it causes.

I expect it’ll get resurfaced at some point which really can’t come too soon.

Brown
    Free Member

mountain bikes are excluded from 95% of the peak, but i’m sorry to say if you visit those places the type of trail degradation your talking about remains…

It doesn’t happen anywhere near as rapidly though…

tracknicko
    Free Member

to be honest i haven’t been over there for donkeys as i don’t desperately enjoy the hike/biking lack of trees etc.

walked round stanage/padley all the popular spots fairly recently tho, and they are pretty damn ****.

BadlyWiredDog

Ban mountain bikes.

Brown
    Free Member

Or just ride them in a slightly responsible manner?

Anyway, back to the OP. Cut Gate’s great and no, I haven’t cleaned it but I’ve seen it almost done on several occasions.

alex222
    Free Member

walked round stanage/padley all the popular spots fairly recently tho, and they are pretty damn ****

I think this is something to do with the large amounts o walkers more than anything.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘CUT GATE – who's cleaned the ascent?’ is closed to new replies.