Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Custom Rothan update…..
  • petrieboy

following on from this thread
    i had a go at vinyl wrapping the Rothan.

i thought it looked pretty good but apparently black carbon isn’t age appropriate for a 2 year old so i bit the bullet and sent it off to be powder coated (decals are temporary until i can work out a way to get Islabikes decals made up)

now just need to decide what build i’m doing with my (now matching) old road bike

geoffj

I’d leave the s-works decals on.
    But if you want islabikes ones made up, Gil at http://www.thecycleshed.co.uk/bikegallery.html can do em.

takisawa2

I liked the carbon.

petrieboy

I would like to do proper decals but I’m struggling to find a decent resolution jpeg. Islabikes were no help (despite having just bought a cnoc from them)

mattjg
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking for a 2 year old, un-branded and un-decaled would be better, leave their mind free to associate the fun of the bike with you, not Specialized (or whatever). That’s a formative brain there, everything they see is going in deep and could well stay.

mattjg
    Free Member

Decal his name on it?

carlphillips
    Free Member

+1 for the name decals, that always seals the deal in kids brains puts his/her stamp on it.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

We have an old battered rothan here.its about to be inherited by my youngest.

Im not going to get it powdercoated because its just a kids runner bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@ Scott yes mate I’m kind of in agreement with you there, but it is nice to hand over something all sparkly for a present, and if you have the time/funds/inclination then its all good..

monogramman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put names on a kids bike. Say they are down the park and the local weirdo calls them by name the child may think they know them and be more inclined to go with them.

petrieboy

@scott – this was more or less mint condition anyway, the colour change was just so the eldest will not think its his otherwise he would want to use it over his new Cnoc. The 2 year old wouldn’t be bothered either way.

Also, it looks awesome 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

(or initials)

anyway my coming-up-to-2=year-old doesn’t go the the park without an accompanying adult, and won’t be for quite a while

Simon-E

I wouldn’t put names on a kids bike. Say they are down the park and the local weirdo calls them by name the child may think they know them and be more inclined to go with them.

Is that while the 2 y/o is trying to mend a puncture and you’re on the other side of the park buying ice creams?

Perhaps you don’t call your child by their name in public in case a stranger uses it. Weirdo!

BTW never, ever put your child’s name in their coat at school otherwise how will they ever manage to lose it?

😉

blueandy99
    Free Member

I have struggled to get decal help from Islabikes, even though we have 2 cnocs.
    I’d be really interested in anybody who got some tasty copies made up as I think both bikes could do with some updating.
    I understand that the bikes are for now and the kids don’t care, but resale in the future maybe a real ball ache if they are A) tatty or B) decal-less.

Would you buy an Islabikes without decals?

blueandy99
    Free Member

Updae for anyone lurking, or rather anyone else who gets to this thread from a google search.
    We have cnocs in the last colours, sort of a gun metal grey with coloured decals.
    Islabikes don’t touch them anymore, they wont supply touch up paint or decals.
    But the rep I spoke to said that “Audi Quartz Silver Metallic” is a great match.
    Maybe that helps someone.

I understand that the bikes are there to be ridden and a such resale shouldn’t be a consideration but I am loathe to powder coat if I cannot secure decals as nobody will believe they are genuine Islabikes without so much as a sticker.

theflatboy
    Free Member

even with the original receipt and an explanation?

tonyd

If someone is looking for an Islabike they’ll probably be able to tell if it’s one or not by looking at it (or photos). I’m fairly confident I could, but then we have one already!

geoffj

if I cannot secure decals

🙄

blueandy99
    Free Member

I read that above and have made contact, yet to get any resonse though

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Custom Rothan update…..’ is closed to new replies.