Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crest rims, what easy fitting fast rolling tyres do you use?
  • lightman
    Free Member

Just got some second hand crests and while I did manage to get my Conti RaceKings on, it was a bit to tight for my liking.
    Ive heard that Maxxis tyres are an easier fit and the Ikon may be the best lightweight tyres to replace the conti’s, I’ll just be looking at the cheap model at around £20.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Specialized butcher on the front and a maxxis ardent on the back.. Easy to set up tubeless too

pictonroad

Geax Saguoro and Maxxis Crossmark here. Both go on with fingers, tubless easily and roll well. I think the Geax is faster/lighter but a bit vulnerable to flint. Both have good comfortable volume on crests.

nedrapier

1st check: Did you make sure the bead was sitting in the centre dip all the way round?

If there are parts sitting on the shoulder next to the rim sidewall, it takes up the slack you need to pop the last bit over with your thumbs.

GeForceJunky

Crossmark exceptions, don’t need tyre levers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Spend the money on better tyre levers 🙂

Seriously though, once they’ve been on a while they do stretch a bit. IME first time on a Stans rim for a brand new tyre is always a bit of a fight whatever the brand.

MrNice
    Free Member

how fast rolling do you want? I’m running maxxis larssen TT’s on crests. They were useless with tubes (multiple pinchflats every ride) but no problems tubeless and I’m riding one or two gears higher in every situation. However, they are useless in mud and will be coming off once the trails get soggy.

EDIT: before the TT’s I had some bloody huge tractor tyres on so almost anything would have felt quick

teamslug
    Free Member

I use rons, ralphs and dirty dans and all go on fine….

nedrapier

Ice tools plastic with steel core are the ones to go for.

A combination of those and wire cutters was needed for the welded-on over 12 years 1.5″ slicks on my bro’s bike at the weekend!

lightman
    Free Member

I have just easily put on some Crossmarks that came with my bike I got last year that I had forgot I had. I took them off because they were very sticky tyres and on the road it felt like I was riding through treacle.

I got the Conti’s because I occasionally use my bike for chaingangs, (and just recently a 100m sportive) and its at least 10 miles on the road before my rides take me to my off road play land, so thats why I want fast rolling tyres.

Most of the trails I am on are dirt/gravel (Pentlands/Lammermuirs) and occasionally grassy sections.
    I’ll put grippy tyres on my other wheels I have replaced with the Crests for winter and crappy weather, Im really just wanting fast and easy fitting for the Crests.

I don’t need new levers, I have had my fair share of tight tyres/rims in the past and have had to change my tyre choice because of this!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crest rims, what easy fitting fast rolling tyres do you use?’ is closed to new replies.