Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • credit card question (escape mastercard prepaid card.)
  • racefaceec90

can i use it for buying things online?have never had a credit card.if i wanted to buy something from america (just a computer game download),how would i go about it.as you can tell am not very knowledgable about credit cards (online ordering/am from the dark ages 😉 thanks 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yes I don’t see why not

MSP

I just have a prepaid credit card these days, to use just as you say for on-line shopping, and to help me resist the temptation of credit. Mine is through my bank, would be my first port of call many don’t advertise the fact that they offer them, and work out cheaper and more convenient than getting them through a third party.
    I run a relatively small balance on mine, if I am buying something more expensive I log onto internet banking and transfer it, and its on the card next day, also gives me a nice little cooling down period when transfixed by blingy bike parts.

zaccolbert
    Free Member

I’m the same as you MSP, I use mine all the time now and started off doing so in order to not get into credit. Because you can only spend the money you have actually put on the card it doesn’t allow me to owe the bank any money and get into debt which is a great load off my mind. These days i use my prepaid card for everything, buying stuff online, paying for subscriptions and for my holiday money when i go traveling. Seeing as it comes with a lot of perks that credit cards do, i don’t know why anyone would want a cc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

i don’t know why anyone would want a cc

For the credit?

uplink
    Free Member

Smells a bit like SPAM zaccolbert – but I’ll give you the benefit

i don’t know why anyone would want a cc

so they don’t have to use mycashplus and pay fees?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I haven’t looked but do these offer different protection to your Debit Card?

Seems I must be missing the reason for having a PrePaid Credit card as well as a Debit card.

Rubber_Buccaneer

i don’t know why anyone would want a cc.

I use a credit card because it gives greater protection than a debit card and I get cashback. How do the prepay cards improve on that?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

What is wrong with a debit card?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is wrong with a debit card?

I assume pre-paid CCs give better buyer protection than DCs.

???

uplink
    Free Member

I assume pre-paid CCs give better buyer protection than DCs.

there’s reasonable protection with DCs

29erKeith
    Free Member

I use one when abroad (CaxtonFX) gives you way better rates on cash withdrawals and better exchange rates than CC’s and DC’s

must get better protection or perks (Cashback?) or something, else I can’t see the point over a debit card when in the UK

toab
    Free Member

I think there’s something in the consumer credit act which means you get more protection from a credit card than a debit card, although I don’t know all the ins and outs. Basically in some circumstances the credit card have to refund you and then it’s up to them to recoup the money. With a debit card once your money’s gone it’s all up to you.

Not sure if this applies to a pre-paid car though as that doesn’t involve a credit agreement and doesn’t come under the laws about credit.

uplink
    Free Member

With a debit card once your money’s gone it’s all up to you.

You can do a charge back easy enough, your bank will do it for you, no £100 limit either AFAIK
    I’ve had a few hundred back recently when a company I bought a warranty off went bust and I know Mr Poddy had a result shortly after I did

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘credit card question (escape mastercard prepaid card.)’ is closed to new replies.