Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Creaking saddle – GRRRR
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Got a charge knife with Ti rails and it has started creaking like hell!
    It is the rails at the front – how do i stop it? Tried spray lube but no good, how can i get grease in?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I had to put insulation tape on the rails of my Bel Air Ti to stop the creak.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how does that work?

sockpuppet

put tape around the rails, then clamp them in place – there's then a layer of plastic between clamp and rails, so no metal-metal contact to sqeak.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

DOnt know, but it did. Was suggested to me by a riding bud. Thomson Post with Ti Bel-air. Creaked so bad with every shift of weight on saddle that i though my BB shell had cracked or something, tried lots of lubes to no avail. Insulation tape cured it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

it appears to be where the rails enter the saddle not the seat clamp tho

goog
    Free Member

finish line wet dripped on the rails an allowed to soak onto the end plastic bits

zaskar
    Free Member

Lost weight and my saddle stopped creaking-not saying you were fat like me lol.

Grease, teflon tape, oil or check the seatpost clamp to make sure it hasn't weakened.

Also make sure the protective film from the manufacture is wiped off at the clamping area and dirt/grease free.

Some oils can penetrate plastics and damage them so double check with manufacturer too.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

zaskar – the creak is coming form the front of the saddle where the rails go into the plastic of the saddle body. The clamp is greased and tight so that is out. I want to know how to get lube into the rail/body interface. Oil worked for half an hour and then came back, hence the question re. GREASE

Coyote
    Free Member

My Ti railled SDG creaks like a creaky thing too.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have 2 very creaky SDGs. Mental.

goog
    Free Member

finish line wet dripped on the rails an allowed to soak onto the end plastic bits

MrSalmon
    Free Member

My Knife was creaking last ride but haven't done anything about it yet- was hoping it was just needing some grease on the rails though!

speaker2animals

If you're convinced it's the rail to body joint take it back for a swap? May just be the famous Ti creak or could be bad manufacture. assuming it's not an old saddle that's knacked?

anjs
    Free Member

No my Cro-mo SDG saddle does it as well so not just a Ti problem

jimthesaint

In my experience saddles either creak or they don't. It's rare that a saddle will start creaking after you've ridden it for a while.

I'd check your seatpost very carefully around the head as a small crack there will first make it's presence known with a creak. I had a NukeProof seatpost crack on me and at first I thought it was the saddle creaking.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Spray grease. Goes in thing, penetrates everywhere and then firms up – does the job pretty well. Soak the area and then wipe off excess.

Rockplough
    Free Member

See my thread here. I would have bet my wages it was the rails, but it was the post. You say the clamp is greased and tight but so was mine. Try taking the clamp apart completely to clean and grease all parts. Solved mine.

MrAgreeable

As above, if lubing doesn;t fix it, check that your post is OK and that the rails aren't bent.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Same issue with my Fizik Gobi ti,used with a Thomson post.Tried greasing clamp,rails etc,but appears to be creaking where reails meet the saddle at the rear.

I have some spray lubicant for car door seals I might try,that should be ok on plastic.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Creaking saddle – GRRRR’ is closed to new replies.