Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Craft Beer club
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just looking at Craft Beer clubs where you have different beers delivered each month, just cannot decide which one to join or if they are really worth the money. Anyone else a member of such a club? looking at beer52 and beer hawk.

russianbob
    Free Member

I’m a member of beerbods, have been for more than 2 years. I really enjoy it.

GregMay
    Free Member

Beerbods. Simple choice.

ChrisHeath

Beerbods is the one I’d join if I was looking for one.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Looks much better than the others. Cheers for this, will most definitely be looking to join this one.

Drac

Yup Beerbods.

russianbob
    Free Member

I have probably got a discount code for beerbods if you want. I think it gets you 1 week off.

russianbob
    Free Member

Try ZFXQWT when you sign up.

globalti
    Free Member

Surely beer is for enjoying in a social context, not at home? We have so many craft brewers here in Lancs that I’d rather just ride to a pub with a pal or two.

miketually
    Free Member

Another vote for Beerbods here. Halfway through my third box and enjoying trying a different beer each Thursday.

miketually
    Free Member

Surely beer is for enjoying in a social context, not at home?

Beerbods adds the social context via Twitter and Instagram.

Drac

Surely beer is for enjoying in a social context, not at home? We have so many craft brewers here in Lancs that I’d rather just ride to a pub with a pal or two.

And when you can’t do that?

marksweb
    Free Member

Another vote for Beerbods. I’ve been a subscriber since ‘the early days’ and they’re superb.

They’re even getting my girlfriend keen to try any new beers!

Merlinman

+1 more for Beerbods – you couldn’t wish for better service or friendlier folks!

I do wonder though where this hipster ‘craft beer’ movement will end up – there are so many folks brewing now, how sustainable will it be? Is there real skill involved anymore? Will it end up like the gazillion ‘artisanal’ coffee suppliers, many of whom seem to do no more than re-packaging/marketing?

Even the big boys are brewing small batch beers now to ‘catch the wave’ 🙂

I’ll enjoy it whilst it lasts though!

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’ll be many years before I get bored with the range offered in the local Booths – and for substantially less than £3 a bottle too 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

£3 a bottle!
    Craft beer is definitely jumping the shark right now

muddy9mtb

brew it yourself, much easier than you think. I do find it quite easy to go through 40 pints all too quickly though 😥

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have a home brew shop 2 minutes from my house. I have had varying degrees of success with the kits. Although I did make a nettle beer last year which was very tasty! for about 20 pints, it cost me £4. Bargain.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres something about the term “craft beer” that makes my teeth itch….
    Don’t get me wrong, I like it lots, its the hipsterification that gets on my wick. Oh and there are other beer varieties other than IPAs, but thats something else.

Drac

Oh and there are other beer varieties other than IPAs, but thats something else.

Yup. Luckily microbreweries know this too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£3 a bottle dream on!

Blackhound

For anybody after a bit of reading to go with there drinking I read this book by a guy who toured Scotland’s small breweries a couple of years ago:

http://www.amazon.co.k/Leaf-Paradox-Discovering-Beer-Whisky-ebook/dp/B00DP8S2JU

gobuchul
    Free Member

Brew your own, all grain of course. Kits are OK, I have done about 5 but although drinkable, most still have a HB twang.

Great fun and loads of info out there.

dragon
    Free Member

Craft beer 😥 Whatever happened to nice decent beer, rather than all this mostly minging pish. Case in point there was one the other day that tasted of gherkins, like WTF?! Before this silly trend the brewery would have binned it and started again, but oh no, now with a bit of marketing they can sell you something minging at a premium price. 👿

As for £3 a bottle, jog on.

globalti
    Free Member

WTF? I mean really…. WTF? What has Society come to when typing twaddle on a cellphone is considered to be an acceptable substitute for sitting down with some friends for a good yarn?

peterfile
    Free Member

I do wonder though where this hipster ‘craft beer’ movement will end up – there are so many folks brewing now, how sustainable will it be? Is there real skill involved anymore? Will it end up like the gazillion ‘artisanal’ coffee suppliers, many of whom seem to do no more than re-packaging/marketing?

Ah, where to begin with this 🙂

Drac

What has Society come to when typing twaddle on a cellphone is considered to be an acceptable substitute for sitting down with some friends for a good yarn?

I know. Next people will be discussing such things on a forum on the internet.

gobuchul
    Free Member

WTF? What has Society come to when typing twaddle on a cellphone is considered to be an acceptable substitute for sitting down with some friends for a good yarn?

Ohhh the ironing! 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

globalti – Member
    WTF? I mean really…. WTF? What has Society come to when typing twaddle on a cellphone is considered to be an acceptable substitute for sitting down with some friends for a good yarn?

Kinda awkward when my friends live in different countries, and work different hours. Either way, we all enjoy our things differently. Maybe I don’t like sitting in a pub listening to other people talk shite? Maybe I’d rather sit, with my wife and enjoy a beer on a Thursday before I go to bed.

muddy9mtb

Case in point there was one the other day that tasted of gherkins, like WTF?! Before this silly trend the brewery would have binned it and started again

I’m sure someone said that about tetley’s once :o… urgh shudder the stuff. can’t beat a nice old speckled hen, green king ipa or hb (if I don’t mind saying so myself)

lemonysam
    Free Member

Surely this takes away the best bit about buying beer which is standing in front of an enormous wall of bottles and trying to pretend that you know enough to pick on anything other than which label you like the most?

muddy9mtb

could say that about wine

Drac

Or bikes.

muddy9mtb

bikes have a bit more tactility about them, I don’t usually ride wine but the beer tries to every now and again

lemonysam
    Free Member

could say that about wine

The process is very similar but the character I try to present to any other customers or staff who may glance my way is very different. With wine I try to appear aloof and discerning – slide my glasses down my nose, jut out the top teeth and read bottles at arms length. With beer I try to give the impression that once I’ve appraised the selection my choices will be obvious. More of a manly impulsiveness.

It’s hard work when I have to buy both from the same shop.

grum
    Free Member

Craft beer Whatever happened to nice decent beer, rather than all this mostly minging pish. Case in point there was one the other day that tasted of gherkins, like WTF?! Before this silly trend the brewery would have binned it and started again, but oh no, now with a bit of marketing they can sell you something minging at a premium price.

As for £3 a bottle, jog on.

Enjoy your Tetley’s Smoothflow grandad.

mefty
    Free Member

I’ve begun to wonder whether anything could pop this bubble, and what I think about is the force that held back middle-class beer snobbery to begin with: the fixed prejudice against real ale. No matter how many demographic surveys Cask Marque produced, no matter how many Sumerian wheat goddesses Camra dug up for its marketing, for most people real ale still meant nerdy old men with beards. Craft beer, by contrast, means nerdy young men with beards. And while nerds have a great deal more cultural capital than they used to, young men continue to grow old. Within a few years, the craft beer boom may seem as difficult to separate from the ridiculous fashions of the 2010s as the real ale boom was from the fashions of the 1970s. If we’re lucky, it will leave as many enjoyable new flavours behind.

bigyinn
    Free Member

This is what worries me, once the hipsters have moved on to Nepalese tea beer made with Himalayan wild yeast and quadruple-fermented with white mountain goats phlegm, where does it leaving the craft / micro-brewing industry?

Obviously it will continue, but i suspect when demand lessens there will be casualties.

muddy9mtb

not so long back you would struggle to find real ale in pubs because the brewers, the big ones at least, saw to much hassle and cost in supplying what the punter wanted. then the government saw sense and stepped in, gave a tax relief on small brewers and hey presto..where we are today – no more stale lager but finally real ale even in the big pub chains. it’s not always perfect but it’s better than fruit based drink for the ladies.

grum
    Free Member

I struggle to see how people who like interesting/decent beers can have a problem with the current situation. Choice of decent beers in pubs now is better than it’s ever been in my lifetime – and some people can still only look at the negatives. Weird.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Craft Beer club’ is closed to new replies.