Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CPU temp – 20 degree difference
  • Pook

will cleaning the fan of dust really result in a 20 degree dif in temp as BIOS is telling me?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Could do. Depends how dusty it is.

Often there is a mismatch between software and bios temp measurements though, so unless you’re checking bios-bios or software-software it could just be an anomaly of the temp reading software.

JxL
    Free Member

My PC keeps restarting, also thought it is this problem so cleaned all dust, installed extra 2 coolers (now there are 7 including CPU and VGA).

Still rebooting!

CPU is only at 37c though, VGA at 52 but that shouldn’t be too bad to restart.

GrahamS

JxL could also be a hard disk problem (either overheating or some other issue). Get a tool that can read the SMART info from the hard drive like Crystal Disk Info (very good but only gives HDD data) or SpeedFan (not as detailed but also reports other temperatures).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Random restarts have always been PSU related in my PCs

zaskar
    Free Member

Could be loads of things.

Start the elimination process…

I changed and cleaned/improved intake and exhaust ports and dropped the temp from 65C to 41C on my old mans pc. My desktop PC is old but runs at 42C from 58C just from cleaning and adding an extra big fan.

It is warm now and you’ll see rises in temp in summer. Try not to put PC’s in corners lacking ventilation.

Harddrive additional fans are great and easy to install.

GrahamS

Conversely I just have 3 massive 120mm fans in my PC. One for inflow, one to cool the CPU and one for outflow. Northbridge and graphics card both use passive cooling and big fans mean low revs, so it is nice and quiet.

The CPU is also cooled by a Scythe Ninja heatsink.

So it rarely makes it into the 40s.

anjs
    Free Member

yep sounds like the PSU is on its way out to me

Northwind

All sorts of things can cause fails like that. Get Speedfan (or similiar) and a torture tester, orthos or prime95 or somesuch, and see how hot it actually gets and if you can make it fail on demand. That should rule heat failure in or out. Basically Nerd The **** Up.

brant
    Free Member

In the summer my mate just used to freeze, er, freezer packs overnight and put ’em next to the fan inlet, to suck cold air in.

On my old Powerbook G4, I remember having to stick a Fab lolly under the back to cool it to stop the graphics card going gammy when watching iPlayer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CPU temp – 20 degree difference’ is closed to new replies.