Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Covering my backside on eBay purchase ……what can I do…
  • crazant
    Free Member

was awake early Friday morning and found a bargain iPad Air That had just been listed , after reading the good 100 % feedback I decide to go for it……I pay and add a note asking for serial number and if they could ship special I would pay the extra…, Friday afternoon I get a reply saying sorry can’t ship today but can get it to you Monday and that her son would send me details later ….I reply saying fine and ask if it’s been reset etc and also ask her again if she needs extra to send special …..I hear nothing till tonight when I get a email saying it’s been shipped but no tracking number and it’s been shipped 1st class recorded ….which I believe only has 50 quid insurance…..
    So basically what I’m asking is how do I cover my arse , what if it’s stolen or arrives damaged or empty box etc…

Thanks
    Anthony

legend
    Free Member

If it doesn’t turn up or its damaged/fake/whatever just raise a PayPal dispute

bruneep

how much was the bargain?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If they didn’t list special delivery as an option you can’t demand it, especially after you’ve paid. If I was that seller I’d probably do the same, ship by a means and timescale that suits me and ignore all the picky demands from the buyer! 🙂

skids
    Free Member

doesn’t matter if they sent it first class, they will be the ones out of pocket if it gets lost and don’t have insurance

trail_rat
    Free Member

How its delivered is the least of your worries imo.

crazant
    Free Member

I wasn’t demanding she shipped special was just bothered for her about not being covered enough by insurance …like mentioned not my problem I suppose……
    Trail rat …what do you mean ..least of my worries .??

woffle
    Free Member

if it’s a stolen one you MIGHT be covered by Paypal(? don’t know?) but certainly if it’s damaged / knackered / not as described / doesn’t turn up then Paypal should see you ok. It might take a while to get your money back mind you.

Paypal / eBay is heavily weighted in the favour of the buyer – to it’s detriment IMO (and it encourages scammers which as a seller is a massive PITA), but you should be ok. Any issues at all then I’d be raising a dispute / reporting a problem immediately. Just make sure you keep all emails and messages etc, whether they’re answered or not.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It stinks of hijacked account,

crazant
    Free Member

Mmm trail rat that’s what I thought ….what’s the plan if it is , what happens if I open the box and it’s got a brick in there …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Report it as a dispute on e-bay and paypal. Photo’s of the box & video of you opening it if you want to be really sure.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

As long as it is not paypal gift you can sleep tight 😀

Some sellers are not very salesman like but purchased items arrives as described.

woffle
    Free Member

I bought an macbook air that was ‘just’ that little too cheap a few years back. Not massively underpriced, looked genuine enough and they weren’t selling more than one of the same item (can be a giveaway) but turned out to be a hijacked account – in that instance it was actually eBay / PayPal who notified me and a refund was actually pretty quick.

As above, unless you paid bank transfer / gift etc you should be ok

crazant
    Free Member

Right the more I look at this the more I’m suspect…
    The address given isn’t a residential address its a clinic in Sheffield .
    She has sold quite a few nice electrical items in the last two weeks and only received feedback for one of them..
    She hasn’t used photos of the item s just generic pics…although on some ads she did put she could email them..
    She’s ignored two requests to send me the serial number although did offer to refund me if I couldn’t get it by Saturday .

I suppose if it was a dodgy account she could have sold loads of stuff and at higher prices so maybe it’s ok..

Just want to make sure I do everything right to make sure I’m covered …

Thanks everyone

darrenspink
    Free Member

Why are you worrying about things that haven’t and may not happen? Take a chill pill.

I often don’t leave feedback for weeks on end.

If there’s something wrong you have ebay and paypal to help you out.

stevied
    Free Member

For peace of mind, I would video it being opened.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Best hope it’s not activation locked.

Icloud.com/activationlock

Punch the serial in when it arrives. If it’s turned on send it back

walla24
    Free Member

video and photos clearly showing it being unboxed with your address on the box and the serial number of the device.

paypal will side with you and you will get a refund, no worries but will take a week or so.

bails

It’s recorded so they’ll need a signature. Why not open it when the postie delivers it, don’t sign until you’ve opened it and made sure it really is an iPad?

Or make sure the opening of the package is on video, if you open a sealed package with the correct tracking code on the front and there’s a brick inside then you’ve got some evidence that it’s a scam.

singletrackmind

Can you refuse to sign and tell the postie to return to sender?

Ring the clinic to see if anyones heard of the seller?

Google the sellers phone number and email addy to see if anything pings up

Ask them to ring you from a landline to verify something obscure , they should if its kosher

geoffj

Just because you’re paranoid…..

Daffy

If you’re genuinely so fearful of ebay (as most of the above seem to be) just steer clear and buy from Apple.

matthewjb
    Free Member

As others have said Ebay/Paypal dispute process means you’re covered. But

crazant – Member

She hasn’t used photos of the item s just generic pics

Really? You bought something on Ebay without a photo of the actual item? You may be little too trusting.

Hope everything works out.

simon_g

I had this with an iPhone. Claimed to have send 2nd class, no tracking. Of course, didn’t show up.

Open a dispute (I did wait a reasonable amount of time just in case it did show up), if no acceptable response then you get your money back after 8 days or so.

matthewjb
    Free Member

As others have said Ebay/Paypal dispute process means you’re covered. But

crazant – Member

She hasn’t used photos of the item s just generic pics

Really? You bought something on Ebay without a photo of the actual item? You may be little too trusting.

Hope everything works out.

Jamie
    Free Member

You’ll get an empty box, OP. After a while you will get your money back from eBay.

Still mildly surprised that someone would buy a second hand iPad off eBay with no actual pics.

woody21
    Free Member

Can you let everyone know what happens when the IPad gets delivered?

crazant
    Free Member

Update for those interested…

ShE sent me an email Saturday night telling me iPad had been sent 1st class but didn’t enter a tracking number…

I have just had a full refund with the below as a message…

Note:
    Please accept refund and apologies I’m so upset the 24 hour courier we used accidentally damaged item so now we have to claim from them please understand it out of our hands and I’m so sorry

All very odd , still got my dosh back..and lesson learnt.. don’t buy stuff at 4.30 in the morning while half asleep

crazant
    Free Member

Suspect they might have sold too Cheap and wanted an excuse …..now what about feedback

Thanks for the input everyone.

Junkyard
    Free Member

used post but claimed courier broke it!!money returned

Neg or Neutral your choice

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Covering my backside on eBay purchase ……what can I do…’ is closed to new replies.