Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cover letter
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hi,

Lots of ski resort jobs I’m trying to apply for at the moment are asking for a cover letter. I know what it is, roughly, but no idea how to lay it out and how long it should be.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

dooosuk
    Free Member

1 page at most and use paragraphs.

It’s pretty straightforward really.

FuzzyWuzzy

Make sure it’s customised for each application, generic cover letters are a big turn-off (and pointless…). Otherwise as above, 1 page and make sure your grammar and spelling are correct to…

Cougar

I’ve generally kept them succinct, unless there’s specific information you need to provide which isn’t on your CV (and arguably, if it’s important, it should be on there). So something like,

Dear Sirs,

I’m writing to you in response to your job vacancy ref 123 as advertised in the August edition of Ski Resort Jobs Monthly. I would like to submit an application for this role as I believe that it is an excellent match for my skill set. Please find attached a copy of my CV for your consideration.

In addition to the skills and experiences listed on the CV, please be advised that I am keen and enthusiastic, a hard worker, and know 47 different words for “snow.”

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Yours etc.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks good help. One page, but what about the font size, standard size 11 or 12?

phil.w
    Free Member

standard size 11 or 12

12 is massive for a letter, stick to 11. And “one page” means make sure it fits on one page, you don’t need to fill it. As Cougar said keep them succinct.

Out of interest* who you applying to?

*i’ve done quite a few seasons

gearfreak
    Free Member

The cover letter is why you are right for that specific job, your CV is your general information.

Find out some info about the company and look at the job description.

Some thing along the lines of “I would like to work for Neilsons as your marketing is aimed at providing a quality holiday to the 20-30 market which is an age group I feel I can work well with”

Needs to be specific to the job and you. 3-4 paragraphs is about right.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Out of interest* who you applying to?

*i’ve done quite a few seasons

A few different resorts around BC and Alberta. So far I’ve applied to Hidden Valley, Hemlock, Powder King, Silver star and Whistler (that’s all the ones i remember). I need to take a look at my sent emails and take note of who’ve I’ve applied to.

I’ve done a season in Italy, want to try Canada though.

BearBack
    Free Member

For Whistler,

you need to tell them you’ll deliver service with a smile, live in staff housing and go to ‘pay day friday’ at Merlins religiously.

Job – guaranteed 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Good luck, I’m in Whistler at the minute and can’t find a job! Sent out loads of applications, but so far have been told I don’t have enough experience from all those I’ve heard back from (mostly server, dishwasher etc jobs) 🙁 Yes who’d have thought you need experience for a dishwasher job 😆

wallop

Make sure you justify the text as well – looks much neater.

+1 on the size 11 font, and for god’s sake – whatever you do, don’t use comic sans serif (I’m sure you wouldn’t, but just in case…..)

Flaperon

Don’t start it “Dear Sir or Madam”, call the companies concerned and find out who you should address it to.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cover letter’ is closed to new replies.