Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Council Tax Banding
  • Cletus

Hi,

We bought a house in March which sits in council tax band F. This is higher than most comparable properties which, based upon advertised price are in bands D or E.

The previous owners converted the garage into a guest annexe which was a big selling point for us.

I have just received a letter stating that the property will be inspected for Council Tax purposes as alterations have been made. Apparently someone is going to come round and do the inspection at any time without first making an appointment which kinda boils my p*$$.

Given that councils are not allowed to raise council tax rates should I expect that the rate will go up as it is the only way they can get more cash in the coffers?

If it does go up it will be in the same band as some properties costing £200k-£300k more.

Has anyone gone through this and if yes what was the result?

If it does go up is there any point appealing? – I was thinks of compiling list of properties currently on the market at a similar price to what we paid that fall into the lower bands.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Look on Money Saving Expert. There’s a whole article about what you need to do to get your house allocated into the correct band and links to websites which give you the house prices at the time of the last banding exercise way back when.

Ewan
    Free Member

I got mine reduced – you get a 6 month window to argue about the banding when you buy somewhere. The conversation basically went ‘so you want to discuss the banding of your two bedroom flat’ ‘two bedrooms? it’s got one’….’oh’.

As to your issue, do the council have the right to enter your property? If not, just tell them to do one.

allthepies
    Free Member

Won’t they just do the assessment from outside ?

totalshell

you have 6 months from moving in longer if its a brand new property to appeal the council tax banding. ask the VOC for a form fill it in with evidence of what a house like yours would have cost in 92 ( i think) and bobs your uncle a very nice man will ring you up barter and i saved 200 quid a year every year.. you can even get it backdated to 1993.. all the others up our street were well peed when they found out i’d had ours reduced

Ewan
    Free Member

Possibly depends what the garage looks like I guess.

monksie
    Free Member

I do this for my job (when I’m not off sick). Bung an email over if you like?
    If the previous owners had band D for instance and then converted the garage into another room, the value and therefore the corresponding banding will increase but won’t take effect until the liability changes ie. somebody else purchases the property.
    It’s the VOA who will reband it and they don’t need access to do it so there is no need for you to be there.
    They’re not going to negotiate with you.
    You can appeal any descision and bandings can go up as well as down. Changes in banding can be backdated. Quite often, they’ll spot another property in the area that may, in their opinion be incorrectly banded and the liable person(s) may very well receive a revised council tax bill.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Simular experience to Ewan, girlfriends apartment has three bedrooms council had it listed as four. She let’s it out now, council were adamant that it had four bedrooms, they were invited to come and check but declined. I hope if anything changes for you it’s a reduction.

monksie
    Free Member

Catflees – It’s the Valuation Office Agency that your girlfriend needs to speak to, not the council.

Cletus

Thanks everyone for the responses – really useful and the Money Saving Expert looks useful.

Monksie, it is the VOA who have written to us and we are in the situation you described – previous owner made alterations about one year ago and we purchased in March.

If we are in when the inspector calls then what is the best way to play things – invite them in and let them get on with it or just tell them to do it externally? – if the latter can they wander around the exterior and peer through windows or do they have to do it from the road?

I guess if it does go up we have the right to appeal – any tips on how to do this?

Cheers!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks monkise, the situation is resolved now. I’m not sure who she spoke to as I don’t wear the trousers here. Were moving to a one bed house tax band A 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

No worries, happy to help.
    Cletus, if you’re in and he/she knocks on the door, let him/her in for coffee and biscuit if it’s convenient and you’re in the mood although you probably won’t even get a knock. If it can be done from the street, it will be. Always best to be nice to a person doing their job (unless it’s the bailff – feel free to be an arse with them). It won’t make any difference to the valuation and any subsequent rebanding.
    VOA and council inspectors have the right to inspect the exterior of your property which can include peeping through the window if needed.
    They have to knock to see if anybody is in first.
    Most of the AGMA (Association of Greater Manchester Authorities) are embarking on a clampdown of fraud claims for Empty Property Discounts Class C exemptions (unocc/unfurn properties) and Single Person Discount. Lots of inspectors will be peering into properties round here.
    If push comes to shove and they can’t tell from outside if the valuation needs to change and they can’t get access to the inside of the property, they’ll have a look at planning permission and building regs. reports etc. and along with what they can see, they’ll make a decision.
    Appealing is very simple although it has to be done within 6 months of the change in banding. Give them a call or download the form from the website.
    It’s not unheard of for a property to have been incorrecly banded either up or down well past the 6 month appeal period (right back to the beginning of council tax) but this is different to appealing. It’s a re-inspection. I’m not completely sure how that works – again speak to VOA. I deal in c/tax, specifically recovery, court and bailiff.

binners

Why not just fill in your swimming pool, disguise the helipad under tank nets, and demolish the staff quarters, forcing them to live in tents?

Cletus

Monksie,

Thanks for the reply – very much appreciated 😀

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed what totalshell mentioned about brand new properties.
    A brand new, not yet banded property will be apportioned an ‘Assumed Band’ until it is banded by VOA and as totalshell has noted, the 6 month appeal period begins when the VOA have valued it, not when the assumed band begins. C/tax becomes liable (well, the owner or occupier becomes liable) as soon as the building is signed off by the builders regardless of whether it is sold. occupied ect.

Edit. You could also do what Binners said. That would be well funny. If the inspector knocks on, kidnap him/her and lock him/her in the cellar. The fascist can’t increase your tax then although you would lose any 25% Single Person Discount if you currently have it although accomodating the servants in tents may mean the property is classed as HMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Council Tax Banding’ is closed to new replies.