Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Could this be tha last time I see STW?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Sat waiting for laser eye surgery and feeling a tiny bit nervous. What if I could never see STW again, what would I do 😥

rickmeister

You will be fine… Just grab the guide dog by the tail and whirl it vigorously in a circular motion above your head.

If anyone questions you about this you can say that you were just having a look round …..

IGMC

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yeah, you’re right, I wont miss the jokes 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I thought you only get one eye done at a time.

Good luck and get well soon!

sands
    Free Member

Both of my parents have had this. Firstly at Moorfields, and last year at the local (large) hospital.
    There is a great deal of knowledge / experience in this procedure these days.

From memory:

Patients weren’t allowed to leave the ward unaccompanied (or use the stairs at all) in case of falls.
    Two different types of eye drops afterwards.
    No driving for 4 weeks.
    After this, possibly worth getting an optician to verify (in writing) that your eyesight is up to driving standard.

Anyway, clocks change to BST on 30th March – look forward to the light evenings.

crapjumper
    Free Member

I had both eyes done on the same day 11 years ago and they’ve been spot on since . You’ll be fine

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC had hers done at Moorfields 6-7 years ago. Assures me it’s the best thing she’s ever done. Wants me to have mine done. No way!

teethgrinder

It’s bad enough trying not to look directly into the beam of an SSX2, let alone a laser!

allthepies
    Free Member

Perhaps they’ll do a Braille version.

With a **** off watch advert embossed on each page.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m back. You are all a little fuzzy and I shouldn’t really be looking at a screen but I’m very pleased with the results so far. Check up tomorrow will decide whether I can drive or have to wait a little longer. What an amazing procedure 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Did you smell your eyes burning?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Assures me it’s the best thing she’s ever done.

Im sure she means second best after marriage. 🙂

marky29er
    Free Member

Well done.
    I imagine this.

I will stick with specs & contacts.

Rubber_Buccaneer

And yes there was a bit of a burning smell. Whole thing was quick and mild discomfort at worst.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I say well done to you for having it done.

If it’s any consolation you too are a little blurry 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

Just be careful where you point those things

And yes there was a bit of a burning smell

A friend of mine has recently had their sinuses cortorised – that was quite a startling olfactory experience for them

MoreCashThanDash

Cauterised vasectomies are a smell to behold!

R-B – nope, marriage to me comes a long way down her list, I am under no illusions.

DickBarton

Bit of a short list if you come under ‘No illusions’…surely that in itself fixes everything else?

mintimperial

Cauterised vasectomies are a smell to behold!

Yeah. Having had both done in the past few months, I can say that having a vasectomy is definitely worse than laser eye surgery. And the end results of laser eye surgery are quite a lot more pleasing, frankly, my eyes are now better than 20/20 which is more than I can say for my testicles.

satchm00
    Free Member

I’m back. You are all a little fuzzy and I shouldn’t really be looking at a screen

Just don’t look in a mirror!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

R_B – where did you get this done and what was the cost if you don’t mind me asking?

This is something I’ve been considering but never looked into it, I’ve only needed reading glasses in the last 3 years or so, so after 45 years without them it’s a real pain. Saw Moorfields mentioned above so looked at them and it’s about £5k to have both eyes done but Optical express prices start from £395 per eye.

mintimperial

Kojaklollipop, you can’t use laser eye surgery to correct the need for reading glasses, it only works on short-sightedness.

There’s more info on this page. Apparently they can replace your lens completely but that sounds like a much more involved procedure – LASIK and the like just skim a few cells off upper layers of your cornea, it takes 10 seconds, rather than swapping the whole lens out! That could be why the Moorfields number is so high, if it’s quoting for what you would need, whereas high-street LASIK outfits will just be quoting for the normal myopia correction op?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Happy to share the info. I went to Optical Express (Harley Street, London clinic) I used them because of recommendation from other people who have used them and been happy. The price I paid was £2995 for both eyes. This was for their top treatment and they will quote you much more than this but I first had a consultation with them in 2009 and have been receiving special offer letters ever since. This deal came along just as my contact lenses ran out and I thought don’t buy more lenses, get the surgery.

I bet no one ever gets their eyes done for £395 per eye. That is a price to get you interested but at your consultation you will be told that treatment is only for very small corrections, is performed with a rusty scalpel and is the most painful available and what you really want is the four figure per eye treatment.

Rubber_Buccaneer

And I think you would be best off accepting reading glasses as a part of old age 🙁 My correction of short sightedness has most likely brought that forward for me and if I understand it correctly it’s an on going process of your range of focus decreasing. I’m not an optician though, you can always go along and ask.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

you can’t use laser eye surgery to correct the need for reading glasses, it only works on short-sightedness.

Ah, wasn’t aware of that. I haven’t really researched it, just thought it could be done. Just find it a pain when I forget my glasses for work (even though I have 2 pairs I’ve done this a few times and have to spend the day squinting at things), they slip off my head, find it a real faff when having to look at maps or gps when out on the bike, but really compared to some people this is probably a minor inconvenience.

wilburt
    Free Member

Just imagine a serous looking fella in scuba gear, it’s all you’ll be missing.

wilburt
    Free Member

But if you decide not to get your eyeballs burnt out can I recommend Primark specs, £2 a go and far superior to my usual Poundland ones at er..£1.

papamountain
    Free Member

Sorry, had to…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inbpgKZnWcs[/video]

andybrad

jesus christ that video was not nice 🙁

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Kojaklollipop, you can’t use laser eye surgery to correct the need for reading glasses, it only works on short-sightedness

Off the top of my head as I am on my phone I will say that I’m not sure thats true anymore, there have been a few advances in treatment recently.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Could this be tha last time I see STW?’ is closed to new replies.