• This topic has 100 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Cotic Rocket 275
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Sorry if posted elsewhere

Apparently on its way. Good news for those wanting someFS Cotic action.

” Rocket275: We’re working through final sign off of production level frames right now. Assuming nothing comes up the batch will be built and will be here in early Autumn. We will firm up dates as we get through the process. I know people are wanting dates on these, but we’re not making any firm promises until we know they’re in a container on a boat, especially since the hardtail shipments have had a habit of slipping back over the last couple of deliveries. ”

chestrockwell

I’m afraid they’ve taken so long that the Bird fs thing has replaced the Rocket in the hearts of STW. Cy has also been replaced by the chaps at Bird (So refreshing to be able to talk to the designer etc).

jekkyl

Apparently the rocket frame alone will cost £1500.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I gave up listening to estimated delivery dates on the 26″ model after 11 months.

Best of luck to them though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Best of luck to Cotic with it, but I fear there may be no way back. Very happy BFe owner here but I’d buy another Transition if I wanted to change the FS

chiefgrooveguru

I’m sure these will be great – and once they’re in actually in stock the perfect storm which killed the 26 will be forgotten.

6079smithw
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a 29er Rocket? I was saving up for that

ads678

So is 26″ dead or not then??

oldejeans
    Free Member

the 29er was prototype only for team racers afaik

toppers3933
    Free Member

ads678 – Member
    So is 26″ dead or not then??

Dead and buried.

dragon
    Free Member

the perfect storm which killed the 26 will be forgotten.

Self induced storm and TBH I’m not so sure it will be forgotten that easily.

chiefgrooveguru

Self induced storm and TBH I’m not so sure it will be forgotten that easily.

Well aren’t you a sunny delight? 😛

Ever tried running your own manufacturing business – it’s just SO easy…

ahwiles
    Free Member

6079smithw – Member
    Wasn’t there a 29er Rocket? I was saving up for that

one day, probably, maybe…

dragon
    Free Member

I’m not saying it is easy, but the reality is they are where they are now due to poor decisions and not seeing the way the market was moving.

AlexSimon

Too late for me now but I hope…
    a) it’s great
    b) people buy it
    c) buyers enjoy it

ThePinkster

I’ll be happy when my replacement BFe frame eventually turns up.

Hoping it’ll be some time next month, when the container arrives.

chestrockwell

The mistake was not keeping a supply from the Far East while they tried to set up over here. Regardless of whether the ‘new’ Rocket is great it’ll still have the wiff of a bike years out of date and those that wanted one before will have moved on. Good luck and all that but I fear that ship has sailed.

cy

You’re exactly right, that was the biggest mistake I made, amongst others. Plenty of mistakes were made over 2013/14, and we pissed a lot of people off.

All I can do is learn from that (hence not giving exact dates or opening orders until we have firm delivery details) and get some great frames made and try and persuade people to buy them.

AlexSimon

wiff of a bike years out of date

I don’t really see why. Geometry and kit will be up-to-date and there are plenty of well-regarded single-pivots about (Nukeproof and Evil for eg).

I assume this is the proto, but I have no inside info:

Edit: Actually – that might be the 29er. If so, I can’t see the seat tube kink which is interesting.

accu
    Free Member

perfect storm which killed the 26 will be forgotten.

really wanted a matt green 26″ rocket in size m,
    but the storm has blown me away..

I´m running my own business since more than 20 years

cy

That is the 29er and there is a curve in the seat tube, it’s just very well hidden. Same design will feature on the 275. Might not have managed to make any Fs frames these last couple of years, but we have learnt lots.

AlexSimon

cy – Member

That is the 29er and there is a curve in the seat tube, it’s just very well hidden. Same design will feature on the 275. Might not have managed to make any Fs frames these last couple of years, but we have learnt lots. Cool – thanks for clarifying.

jimplops

Fair play cy for being open, not many would openly be honest about wrong decisions.

fathomer

Well I’m probably going to be full sus shopping next year and it’ll be high on my list.

Cy, seeing as your around, I assume you’ve shelved the mini Rocket for the foreseeable?

cy

If we could have done the 26 along side the other wheel sizes then we would have. I wish we had kept making bikes for people instead of throwing all in for the manufacturing firm, but that’s 20:20 hindsight.

I still ride my 26 and it’s such a good bike. Problem was that the 275 and 29 share a lot of features, most notably said curved seat tube. We either needed a whole other set of jigs and fixtures for those on top of the 26 versions or for an awful lot less investment on our part we could modify the 26 inch and not be able to make them any more. Realistically given this is 2015 I had to make the decision based on what we will make in the future, I chose to modify the existing jigs.

cy

Any projects other than rocket are just too far away to comment on. We’re obviously working on other bikes but let’s just concentrate on getting rockets back first eh?

ratherbeintobago

Any word on the Rocket 29 or is it still down the line?

cy

Still down the line, but we’re a lot closer to the final article as we got to the bottom of the stiffness issues that we had on the first prototype. I definitely want to make them, it will be a matter of timing and finance more than anything now.

BigJohn

People are judged not by the mistakes they make but by how they deal with those mistakes. You seem to be dealing with them well, Cy. Well done. I guess it’s been tougher than you ever expected.

And as soon as I get bored with my Mk1 Soul I’ll be replacing it with another Cotic.

But I’m not bored with it.

honourablegeorge

Any plans for updated geometry on the existing bikes, Cy? I know the Soul is somethign of a classic as is, but a smidge mote TT would accomodate us six footers wanting short stems a bit better.

(Maybe a longer slacker HT to sit alongside the Soul, even. You can call it the George)

aw
    Free Member

jambalaya hows that BFe…I am thinking of getting one 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

Just out of interest, are the new Rocket frames going to include the changes to the suspension linkage as per the ones designed for UK manufacture and the bonded dropouts etc. or are they going to retain the system of the first 26″ frames?

cy

Honourablegeorge – all the new hardtails have our new OFI geomtery introduced on the Soul275 which is a little longer but crucially doesn’t lose room if used with an inline seatpost. Soul26 are about to sell the last ones and we’re not getting any more, but 275 and 29 bikes all fit a little better than the 26 bikes now.

Jimw – the incoming bike is similar to the original rocket. A lot of those changes we were looking at weren’t really for performance they were to optimise the construction for what we thought we could do in the UK.

chiefgrooveguru

George, the Soul and BFe 275 are both about 20mm longer in reach & ETT than the 26 versions, size for size, and the BFe 275 is just over a degree slacker than the 26 version.

accu
    Free Member

the BFe 275 TT is even longer as on the solaris !
    solaris 625m and the Bfe275 631mm, both size large
    seems like a quite different geo..
    old Bfe was 610mm

honourablegeorge

Ta cy/chief…

Damn. Very short of excuses for not upgrading now.

jimw
    Free Member

Thanks Cy, just interested really. To be honest,my experience of bonded parts on frames has not been great*, even though I know things have moved on and they glue aeroplanes and cars together etc.etc. so the lack of that element would be a positive for me, if only to allay irrational worries!

* I broke three Trek carbon frames, two were at bonded joints.

chestrockwell

You’re exactly right, that was the biggest mistake I made, amongst others. Plenty of mistakes were made over 2013/14, and we pissed a lot of people off.

All I can do is learn from that (hence not giving exact dates or opening orders until we have firm delivery details) and get some great frames made and try and persuade people to buy them.

Good on you for pitching up and I genuinely hope it works out. I’m not so bothered about the Rocket but have always admired the Soul.

You just need to take those Bird chaps round the back of the bike sheds and duff them up though. 😉

STATO
    Free Member

accu – Member
    the BFe 275 TT is even longer as on the solaris !
    solaris 625m and the Bfe275 631mm, both size large
    seems like a quite different geo..
    old Bfe was 610mm

As Cy stated, design philosiphy changed slightly to compensate for dropper posts. So slacker seat angle gives an increase is TT length for no change in reach. Seat tube angle dosnt usually effect most people as changing between inline and offset and sliding saddle forward-back can usually get seat in same position regardless of angle.

You need to be nice and ask Cy to supply reach figures for the 26 to do a proper comparison.

kelvin

Soul275 with 120mm forks has same reach as Soul26 with 100mm forks (because no-one uses 100mm forks anymore, right?)

http://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/optimised_for_inline

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket 275’ is closed to new replies.