Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cotic or Genesis CX bike??? advice pls
  • HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

Fancy getting myself a cx bike to make the ride home from work more interesting (north downs way/ranmore etc). Friend has a Croix de Fer and really likes it but I have seen the Cotix X!
    Does anyone have an X? If I did choose it then I would upgrade the forks and add discs……

Advice/experiences/comments welcome please!
    Also a question on sizing. I am 5’11” with 32″ inside leg. I can’t learn over on a road bike for a massive amount of time (back trouble), another reason to get a cx bike as they are more upright. Would a 54cm CdeFer be ok??????? or would 56cm be better??
    Thanks

sefton
    Free Member

id say bet the 56 and adjust your position with stems, spacers and rotating the bars for comfort

Aidy
    Free Member

Bit of a shameless plug, but I’m selling a 54cm CdF.

I’ve a similar inside leg, but I’m a fair bit shorter – so I’d’ve thought that you’d be able to get quite an upright position on a 54cm CdF, but a 56 probably won’t be too bad for you either.

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

Don’t mind the shameless plug! I have been looking more at the geometry and I think the 54 will be too small.
    Anyone got a Cotic X yet???

organic355
    Free Member

what about a kinesis crosslight pro 6 or an on one dirty disco?

these are the 2 I am torn between at the moment, about to pull the trigger on the Kinesis though.

barn
    Free Member

I test rode a CDF (mate has one) and ended up buying a 2nd hand Cotic X off here.
    On Road they are both comfy and surprisingly capable mile munchers/commuters/tourers if you choose the right tyres.
    Off road I find the X works brilliantly whereas the CDF felt pretty dead.

I’ve done heaps of miles on mine now, including a tour of France, lots of XC trails, snowy commuting and some foul weather road rides.
    I’ve killed a (cheap) front wheel, but that aside it has been bombproof – very well finished frame.

Size wise, I am 6ft with 32.5′ inside leg. I have a 58 which gets me an upright position with a short(ish) stem (slammed for road, spacers for dirt/tours).
    I’d say a 54 would be too small for you.

Cross mode:

Touring mode:

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

was only looking to spend about £1000. I have seen the DdeF for £950 and the Cotic is £1075 with the extras I want…..
    I like the look of the crosslight, thanks for the heads up!

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

Cheers barn for the advice, do you have the carbon forks?? I’ve ridden my brothers large/long roadrat and it is definately too big for me so I still reckon the 56 X is a better size.

Choices, choices, choices………..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I got the Dirty Disco Rival deal. Love the ride and super quick and stiff. I’m 5’11 32″ inseam and 56 fits me great. The higher cockpit makes it less ‘touching your toes’ position for me – especially in the drops.

Finish is impressive.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have an X . It came with Carbon forks but that was early last year. I wish it took bigger tyres but thats not a major thing. I find the 2 bottle cages on the down tube handy but wish there was one on the seat tube. I’d have mixed feelings about the standard brakes. Tektro’s. I had a good deal when I got the frame so had them. Easy to set up but not the nose diving performance I wanted.As good as a road dual pivot at the front but not at the back. i’m happy .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cotic or Genesis CX bike??? advice pls’ is closed to new replies.