Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cornwall and zee Germans
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Been coming here a fair few years now but this year has been an eye opener with the number of German tourists we’ve encountered. And no, not the stereotypical type either before I’m accused of being racist! Has there been a big European ad campaign?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Maybe depends on the time of the year, but I always notice loads of dutch cars down there..

wrightyson
    Free Member

We’ve had a cheeky few extra nights in a hotel before heading home and it must be 50% German occupied.

johndoh
    Free Member

They’re scoping it out ready for an invasion.

julianwilson
    Free Member

late summer for ze germans in the south west IME. Don’t know whether that is when they traditionally go on holiday evrywhere (ie not jst cornwall) like the french (orgnised/agreed business holidays) seem to do in early august and the midlanders industry ‘July fortnight’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Has the exchange rate shifted that way again?

porter_jamie

Rosamund pilcher

MoreCashThanDash

Seem to remember reading that Doc Martin was a big hit in Europe and attracting lots of German and Dutch tourists.

Now, Cornwall is lovely, but Doc Martin is not the best advert for it. Or anything else, for that matter.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Been going to South Penquite Farm campsite on Bodmin Moor for the last few yrs, always been plenty of Dutch people on the site.
    I did ask one family (chatting outside the pub) why Cornwall & they told me they like hills! Now, coming from the Pennines I don’t consider Cornwall to be particularly hilly but I suppose if you come from the Netherlands then it can look that way.

Sandwich

Doc Martin and A N Other writer set their books down there. Of the two it’s the unknown one (a woman) that is driving the business. (I’m running on instant coffee and it’s taking a bit longer to get going).

scousebri
    Free Member

Lots of Dutch and German around here in Devon at the moment. Maybe here for the quieter part of the season.

MrOvershoot

Holland must be deserted in the summer as everywhere you go in Europe you see loads of Dutch cars!

I can’t stand crowds so only go to Cornwall in November 🙂

Mat

Agatha Christie for Devon? Just guessing at A N other woman.

cranberry
    Free Member

Holland must be deserted in the summer as everywhere you go in Europe you see loads of Dutch cars!

It is – the motorways are always really quiet during summer commuting time = wonderful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall and zee Germans’ is closed to new replies.