Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Core strength exercises – reps / sets that are easy to remember?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I think this was mentioned recently but I can’t find it.

Can anyone recommend a sequence of core strength exercise that is easy to remember?

All the mags have them now and again, but it seems to be “do this, do that, 10 seconds rest, do that do this do that, 5 seconds rest blah blah…..” Nothing seems particularly easy to memorise with difference recovery times nd numbers of reps each time.

Just looking for somthing simple to supplement the riding and running on days when I can’t ride.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Just make something up yourself, if it’s too hard after a week or too hard to finish a session then increase the rest and decrease the excercise time, if it’s too easy then do the opposite. It’s not rocket science and you don’t need for someone else (likely to got qualified to) to tell you what you need to do.

Good luck! Just remember the ones that feel hard should be done, not left out because they hurt!

Duffer
    Free Member

Plank is a great core exercise. It’s also very easy to remember; keep going until you start shaking uncontrollably. Then keep going some more.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Doesn’t really matter about reps. In my abs blast class I do at lunchtimes we do exercises for a minute at a time and it’s quality not quantity of reps. We’ll rotate three or four different exercises that focus on a different area of the abs and arrange them so that you’re not focussing on the same area on subsequent exercises, that way we transition from one exercise to the next with no rest. So we might do the following sequence: low abs crunches, high abs crunches with knees raised, bicycle crunches, to raise legs and touch toes then into leg lifts or v-shapes. We might do that sequence three or four times with about 15secs rest between then move onto some static work like the various plank exercises (straight plank, side planks and/ or straight planks with one leg raised).

The key to good abs technique is to never relax through the whole exercise. So if you’re doing simple crunches you never lower your shoulders completely and relax your abs, you keep them under tension all the time and just pump up and down.

Don’t forget to stretch them out after, as well as you’re lower back.

teasel
    Free Member

Plank is a great core exercise. It’s also very easy to remember; keep going until you start shaking uncontrollably. Then keep going some more.

Agree. I do that and the back arch.

tmb467
    Free Member

Feet on a roller on the table then plank position with feet higher than head

6 reps of 30 seconds – once with both legs, once with one leg off once with the other then repeat those three reps to give 6 (make sure the resting leg is slightly away from the other leg so your enabling anti-rotational stuff)

Build up to a minute for each rep

Northwind

The downside of the plank is that it’s as boring as ****.

Scapegoat

You can watch TV while you’re planking though.

Tyre push. We train out forwards using a car/truck/tractor tyre depending on the player. Put the tyre on a flat surface and drive the tyre with hips slightly lower than shoulders, shoulder blades drawn together, belly button pushed towards floor to keep lordosis curved, head neutral, looking through the upper frames of your glasses if you were wearing them.

Swap your computer chair for a swiss ball, gains great initial core stability without realising it. .

Macavity
    Free Member

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Core strength exercises – reps / sets that are easy to remember?’ is closed to new replies.