Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Coolant level sensor broken – how much to repair?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Coolant level fine, just a false positive from a faulty sensor. Audi A6 , 8 months out of three year warranty.

How much?

CHB

Have a look on Eurocarparts. I can’t believe it will be too expensive.

goldfish24

Go to a motor factors, ask for coolant level sensor, I’m guessing somewhere between 5 and 20 quid. Screw in.
    Or pay independent garage, add something reasonable for getting off arse, say 20 quid, to the part price for the job.

johndoh
    Free Member

How much do you reckon my local Audi dealership has quoted for it…

MrPottatoHead

I’ll go first…£200

Jamie
    Free Member

£225, but you get a free cup of coffee while they gently bend you over.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I reckon about 200 quid as well.

allthegear
    Free Member

They said “no problem, we can do that now, for free”?

Okay, maybe not

Rachel

Sandwich

Coffee and lube. Get you and your moneyed ways.

submarined
    Free Member

I’d guess the part at somewhere between 50 and 100. I’d go for an oem one, cheap sensors always seem to have a very limited lifespan IME.
    Fitting is a bit open ended TBH. Totally depends on the engine. Yes, it’ll be just be screw out, screw in, top up, but it could be anywhere from staring you in the face to buried under a manifold nestled in a rat’s nest.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m guessing £300+*

*+VAT

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just Googled it – Audi list price is £371.98 for just the sensor!!!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just twist the wires together. You have eyes

trail_rat
    Free Member

brilliant.

and people always say im talking shite when i say VW/audi prices are high.

br
    Free Member

Ok, at just outside the warranty I’d be looking for fitted for free at a minimum, and if you’ve used that dealer for servicing a bit of good will.

Jamie
    Free Member

The feels when you give a jokingly high price, and it’s possibly 50% cheaper than book.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If it’s anything like my old Golf, which it probably isn’t, you can scrape the rust off with a screwdriver to make it work again.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Just Googled it – Audi list price is £371.98 for just the sensor!!!

Can’t be. They are £5 delivered on Ebay. You must be looking at a larger part of the cooling system. Even VAG can’t take the piss as much as that!

johndoh
    Free Member

Okay, so they claim they have to replace the expansion tank and the wiring loom to the ‘computer’ as it is all a single unit that needs replacing (ie, they claim they cannot just replace the sensor itself).

cranberry
    Free Member

Audi list price is £371.98 for just the sensor

Does that include the lube and spooning afterwards ?

teasel
    Free Member

Enter your VIN and confirm what they’re telling you…

http://www.realoem.me/

johndoh
    Free Member

Does that include the lube and spooning afterwards

Believe me, that price is considerably less than the one I was quoted…

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Our sensor is gone on the gold I think. When cold, the “Stop, top up coolant” comes on with a beep. But 5minutes later if you turn the engine over again it doesn’t do it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah on mine, it just says ‘Low coolant, switch off engine’.

When I switch it off and back on again it goes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The question is …..How much of it is them covering their arse.

I would put money on cleaning up of the connectors and additional some protective lube would have it all working well……Google says many many people have done this on the 2.7tdi a6 at least

Audi won’t do that as theres no guarantees it will last so hit the change everything involved button.

Jamie
    Free Member

If in doubt, replace everything.

Sundayjumper

I’ve read the thread, we need the answer now ! How much did they quote ?

Then just Google your model of car and “coolant sensor”, there will be info on how to fix it for a lot less.

Edit to add – the £5 sensor looks to be the temp sensor, not the level sensor.

johndoh
    Free Member

If in doubt, replace everything.

More of a case of ‘we can’t be arsed to fault-find so we’ll just replace the lot’

Another fault flagged up when they plugged it in: Tank filler flap fault. Require actuator and sticker to rectify.

(Apparently occasionally the filler cap isn’t locking when the central locking is activated).

They wanted £236.69 for that little job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I guess this is the price of running an exec mobile if you can’t/won’t diy.

Simple basic cars might not have all the toys but boy are they cheaper to fix.

johndoh
    Free Member

if you can’t/won’t diy.

I would assume that the computer would need resetting if I tried to DIY replace it. I am just ignoring it because I am not going to pay the price they want:

£1,540

😯

Sundayjumper

😯 indeed !!

And I bet it’s something dead simple like a dirty connection.

The filler flap just needs some spray grease and a bit of a wiggle.

johndoh
    Free Member

And I bet it’s something dead simple like a dirty connection.

Yep – will take a look at the weekend

The filler flap just needs some spray grease and a bit of a wiggle.

I can’t even be bothered to try – the lid closes properly, it’s just the lock pin that doesn’t always fire properly when locking the car.

As I have never had fuel stolen from any car I have ever owned in 30+ years of driving, I would be pretty unlucky to have three full tanks stolen in the next 6 months before the car is handed back to the lease company. 🙂

Ohh, and the tank has some ‘anti-siphon’ device in it too anyway…

Inbred456
    Free Member

That’s nothing a work colleague has a S3 2 months out of warranty with about 32k on the clock. One injector failed open. Took both lambda sensors out but luckily the cat wasn’t damaged. To replace one injector and 2 sensors with a discount to parts and labour £1600.00. Two weeks later static temp sensor fails £700.00 quid. It’s getting chopped in this week against a new focus ST 3. He’s too scared to keep it. 3yrs old. They have lost a really loyal customer who has had performance Gti’s and S3’s for the last 15yrs.

johndoh
    Free Member

And I had, for a fleeting moment, considered buying the car from the lease company when it goes back.

Not now!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lease co paying for the repair ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Wait….it’s a lease?

johnners
    Free Member

Do you have to hand the car back free of any fault codes?

johndoh
    Free Member

Do you have to hand the car back free of any fault codes?

I don’t know on that actually.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I always assumed that lease deals had a warranty in place fr the full duration of the lease period? Is that not the case?

johndoh
    Free Member

I always assumed that lease deals had a warranty in place fr the full duration of the lease period? Is that not the case?

Apparently not – it doesn’t have maintenance included and the manufacturer warranty expired 6 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Coolant level sensor broken – how much to repair?’ is closed to new replies.