Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Converting r80 spotlights to fire rated low energy?
  • foureyes
    Free Member

Got 4 CFL r80 spots in the kitchen extension and the wind blows a gale through the fittings – it’s a single story extension.

So the ideal outcome is 4 wide spots still, using low energy bulbs giving equally wide coverage, but with no air leakage. Afaict a fire rated fitting has to comply with air movement regs and is less ‘drafty’ ?

But can I find a wide angle low energy fire rated fitting?!

Halfway house is to fit fire hoods over existing fittings to try to cut the drafts a bit.

So, anybody had similar and figured it out?
    Yawn what a boring question, sorry!

oldgit
    Free Member

The holes left by R80 fittings are usually too big to accept fire rated fittings.
    The widest fire rated/sealed fittings are the ones with a tilting centre. A hole is still likely to only be around 85mm+-
    Other option is to fit a converter fitting, they’re not sealed but give you the option to fit LV/LE/GU10 etc.

foureyes
    Free Member

Hi, yeah I’d noticed this too, I would probably cut a ring of plasterboard and fix it in the original hole, skim over etc

But am I right in thinking an r80 fitting can’t be had as a fire rated model? Can’t find any anyway!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

No not actually fire rated, though some were one piece cans. Plus all the R type lamps will vanish over time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Converting r80 spotlights to fire rated low energy?’ is closed to new replies.