Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • contaminated my brake pads
  • wwpaddler
    Free Member

hi all

I’ve managed to spill chain lube on my spare brake pads. To clean them would I just soak them in degreaser then rinse with water or is there a better way to clean them.

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Youmight get away with it. You might not.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blow torch them (but not till they glow!!!).Then a emory paper the surface.
    Waits to be flamed by TJ…….

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve heard of people putting them in the oven to boil the oil of and all sorts, but I just give them a wash in soapy water and use them on the back end where they are less critical. If they come good after getting some heat into them, keep em.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

worth a try Rorschach I have done this successfully but it also destroyed the bond of friction material to backing on one set.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Whoops!

Heat them up (literally red hot) and then clean them off. Sometimes works but they might not be perfect and, depending on the quality of the pad, this may separate the pad from the backing plate — so be careful.

Probably best to just buy a new set, though, if your budget allows…

st

A few people I know use the oven technique but I stay in the garage and use a blow torch. I keep the flame on them long enough for the pad itself to sustain a flame then leave to cool and go over the surface with sand paper. I do this on the basis that the flame is the offending contaminant rather than it being the backing adhesive burning.

This has worked in almost every attempt and so far I’ve never had a pad fall apart.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve probably done hundreds of sets with the blowtorch over the last 7 years of being a lbs mechanic and have only had the backing come off a couple of times (no not superstar…they don’t need heating) but I have set fire to 1.Chainbath 2.Workbench 3.Myself.I have found that they seem to wear quicker after heating though,which is the opposite to what I would have thought.
    Do it in a well ventilated area as they STINK!!

TrentSteel
    Free Member

degreaser and emery cloth, didn’t find the need to blowtorch in my own case, but I’d try it if the first 2 methods didn’t work first

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘contaminated my brake pads’ is closed to new replies.