Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Contact lenses
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thinking of trying them and spec savers offer a free trail

whats better monthly or 5 pairs of daily disposables to try ?

Are they easy/hard to put in ?

Been wearing glasses 20 plus years

Any advice gladly taken

samuri
    Free Member

Go for disposables first if you can.
    Yes, they’re hard to get in and out at first. Easier to get in than out. Once you’ve got the knack though they’re both easy. Be prepared for a few minutes of panic when you can’t get one out but stay calm and you’ll be fine.

They may show you different methods of removing them but I found the pinch method (soft lenses), the easiest.

Don’t be expecting to wear them all day first time round, you need to get used to them. They may hurt a bit at first, it passes quickly.

geoffj

Use wet finger to put them in, dry finger to take them out.

bruneep

what does the optician say?

frackit
    Free Member

I’ve been a Lens wearer for over 25 years – daily disposables have always been best for me – comfortable to wear and vision doesn’t degrade as it seems to with monthlies.

After wearing them for this long, popping them in and out is easy – but it takes a bit of getting used to.

40mpg

Wot frackit says. It will feel like a very dusty day at STW at first, but persevere and you’ll be fine.

Sooo much better than glasses for anything active.

I use dailys but have a few weeklong wear ones to use for weekends away and overnight stuff as you can keep them in all the time. No fumbling in tents / woods etc ooer!

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, and if you have any level of astigmatism, it’ll look very odd for a bit. Cylindrical things often look bigger to me for some reason.

This can be a good thing. 😉

teef
    Free Member

Just looked on the Specsavers web site – don’t be surprised if they recommenced you they most expensive ones. Prices vary from £16/30 pairs to £30/30 pairs – they cheapest ones will probably do you fine.

MartynS

i tried specsavers monthly disposables and really didn’t get on with them
    I have astigmatism and with specsavers ones,found a very distinct halo around lights also compared to the ones i was using the specsaver ones felt really thick.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I have just gone down this route and I pick up 10 free pairs of day disposable ones this Friday. I only want to use them once a week road cycling under sunglasses.
    I will let you know how I get on.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I used to use the daily disposables but have switched to the monthly disposable ones – the ones you can keep in for the whole month if you want. I nearly always take them out each night but do occasionally find it useful to be able to keep them in for a few days at a time.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Daily disposable ones for me. Don’t forget to blink.

Fantombiker

I’ve been a wearer for 34 years! Cycling in lens vs glasses is soooo much better. Currently using the Oasys disposables which give you 2 weeks per pair. They correct for astigmatism and for reading! Very comfortable as they very ‘wet, and give me perfect vision.

I pay £21 per month for 4 pairs in the boots scheme, which posts them out and has free annual checkups etc

jam-bo

I used to use the daily disposables but have switched to the monthly disposable ones – the ones you can keep in for the whole month if you want. I nearly always take them out each night but do occasionally find it useful to be able to keep them in for a few days at a time.

This. I find them much more comfortable than the dailies which dried out pretty easily and could then lift out.

I can wear these from 7am-11pm no bother.

jon1973
    Free Member

Handling hot chillies beforehand helps them go in and come out much easier.

TPTcruiser

Tried daily disposables for a while, they were ok. I liked the extra vision but not sure about the poking and broddling about to get them out, but that may be my fat fingers.
    If out in muck your wide open eyes may pick up dirt and get a bit of extra silt in the corner of your eye. I ended up wearing Optilab prescription specs. I wear the contacts at the beach on occasion hardly ever elsewhere.

egb81
    Free Member

Monthly toric lenses from Specsavers for me. The quality of the lenses can vary somewhat. Some are excellent and really comfortable, then you’ll get a batch that make your eyes feel like someone poured sand in them. I wouldn’t be without contacts now though (barring me being able to afford laser surgery). Riding with glasses is just horrible.

MoreCashThanDash

Best bit of advice I can give you – put your lenses in before you use the Minty Arse Lard. 😯 😥

Pieface

How will you be using them?

Try both – I found the monthly ones more comfortable but you do need to clean them daily.

I tried them full time for a year or 2 and reverted to wearing them just for sports.

I only wear them twice a week so found it too much hassle, I wear glasses the rest of the time and when I want to wear lenses (mostly due to foul weather) i just use a pair of the disposables.

root
    Free Member

Just looked on the Specsavers web site – don’t be surprised if they recommenced you they most expensive ones. Prices vary from £16/30 pairs to £30/30 pairs – they cheapest ones will probably do you fine.

Yep. I knew nothing about them and they put me on the most expensive ones without mentioning anything. If you then want to change to the cheaper ones, they will make you take a re-fitting.

stevious

Daily disposables are a good place to start I reckon.

The new monthyl ones that you can leave in for a few days are brilliant though!

T666DOM

If you’re wearing the lenses sporadically, daily lenses will be the better option, also for sport they can be the best option as you get a fresh sterile lens every day.

With the monthly lenses you have to be fastidious with the cleaning, silicone hydrogels are the best option for many as they let the most oxygen through to your corneas.

Your prescription may dictate which lenses you can have.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Ok, I picked my daily lenses at 4.30 this afternoon and have had my first pair in for about four and a half hours. No problems getting them in and wearing them but, i really struggled to get them out.
    Will try again tomorrow.

thehustler
    Free Member

OP the optom that does the assessment should advise you of the best lens for you, depending on your eyes your expected wear pattern the ‘best’ could be either daily disposables or extended wear, for this one take the advice of the optom not the internet.

CountZero

I’ve been wearing contacts on and off for around twenty years or possibly more, and I use the Specsavers monthly ones, which were £10/month for a pair, but are a little more expensive now because I’ve started wearing a toric in my left eye for astigmatism, which makes a huge difference. I’m a lot more aware of that lens, though, because it’s thicker and slightly weighted, so it’s always correctly orientated.
    I can sometimes see the edge of the lens, too. I only wear them during the weekend, or during the week if I’m on holiday, ‘cos otherwise I’d have to be using reading glasses all the time at work, whereas I can get away without my glasses there.
    As far as getting them in and out is concerned, I sometimes find it a bit of a phaff, but I do put a couple of drops of cleaning fluid into the lens on my fingertip, which seems to help with initial lubrication.
    At least nobody here contemplating wearing them is likely to discover the effect of failing to use neutralising solution after taking their lenses out of the sterilising solution and putting one straight in…
    Thank God for one-step solutions, that’s a pain I really don’t want to suffer again.
    Still, you only ever do it once. 😳

T666DOM

Undiluted peroxide can hurt like a bitch! !

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks all for help

I went this afternoon, as I have an astigmatism they don’t hold them in stock, optician recommend daily disposable for me, will go back next Sat after xmas and hopefully they will be in.

paulevans
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing Lenses for past 30 years and have tried most types. Now on Specsavers monthlys that you leave in for the month – you sleep in them. Seemed less risky than going down the laser route!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Another vote for extended wear lenses – leave ’em in and forget about them for a month. The problem then becomes remembering when they need changing – I may have worn some for about three months, it’s surprising how comfortable they still are! I used to have the monthly disposable ones that you take out at night, but they just got too dry and scratchy towards the end of the day.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Contact lenses’ is closed to new replies.