Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Conned – Repairing badly gouged steerer that is too loose for a crown race?
  • cheers_drive

The Rebas on 29er that I brought of the classifieds at Christmas had been making a knocking noise on large bumps and the headset was binding.
    I dropped the forks out to find that the steerer had been so badly gouged where someone has ham fistedly tried to remove the crown race that the crown race just fell off and now has about 1mm clearance all round. I don't know what they thought they were doing but I'm not happy that I've been sold forks that are useless and possibly dangerous but I guess it's a case of buyer beware.

Is there any bodge that will rescue the forks?

Or 29er forks are still rare and a replacement uppers (CSUs I believe their called) cost a fortune so I was wondering if I could use some 26er uppers instead?

Del

hmm. wouldn't have thought it would be that easy to take enough material off all the way around to stop the crown race seating? i'd try another crown race or complete headset if necessary.
    if it really get's down to it use a bearing fit loctite ( 638 or similar ) to secure the crown race.
    i'd bet on the new crown race fitting fine though.

Conespanner

I agree with the loctite. If the gap around the crown race is that big you could made up some shim from a coke can and use it to pack in combination with the loctite.

hopster
    Free Member

Drop some braze on it then face the fork. Argos can do it for you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Imm clearance all round – far more than a bit ogf gouging. Is there a part missing from the headset?

Shim it

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto del and tj's replies. Bring that loose suggests that a part is missing or the crown race is the wrong size.

cheers_drive

hmm. wouldn't have thought it would be that easy to take enough material off all the way around to stop the crown race seating?

It really is that bad, the race drops straight to the bottom and rattles around the steerer.
    Thanks Hopster – I'll give them a ring. Did you go out with Mat today? I went down to Cheddar, it felt really tough today and wanted to give up after 35miles but struggled on to 100k .

clubber
    Free Member

Pics needed of the steerer with the crown race off I think. I just find it nigh on impossible to believe that anyone could actually damage it that badly but I guess that there are some real numpties about 🙂

cheers_drive

Pic with with the race on, it looks the donner meat at a kebab shop and is actually even narrower at the bottom!
    I tried the race on other forks and it's fine.

clubber
    Free Member

I take it back! That looks like someone's tried to turn it into a 1" steerer!

ojom
    Free Member

WTF? That's crazy!

Where did you get it?

clubber
    Free Member

I think you want a serious word with allport!

I really wouldn't use that fork. There's are marks all over the steerer Along the full length by the looks of it which add significantly to the risk of it breaking…

ojom
    Free Member

Why would someone do that…?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Bizarre! And bloody dangerous.

clubber
    Free Member

Presumably someone couldn't get a crown race on so attacked it with a file, angle grinder or similar!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

SNAP then faceplant

whoever sold you that wants a bollocking !

khani
    Free Member

that looks scary,

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Someone has taken a grinder to that steerer – that's the only way to get those sort of marks.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Blippin Nora! Looks like someone has had at it with a file, not a screwdriver. I think you might be better off with a new crown, steerer and uppers. Or walking. Removing material from the steerer is not a terribly good idea.

One thing – is that an aluminium or a steel steerer? It looks very shiny, so I'm guessing aluminium. Regardless, I'd not feel terribly confident or safe riding something like that.

Caveat emptor applies to second hand goods, but if it was described as in good condition or something similar, then you do have some rights. Have you talked to the seller?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

That's truly horrible

Fork->bin, NOW!

(or use it for "owning" the guy who sold you them.)

Andy

😯

That is shocking (no pun intended)!! How can someone sell on something like that.

Really boils my piss; got a problem, no worries, dump it on the classifieds, and con someone.

I think Allport owes an explanation.

EDIT: And I wouldn't ride that fork

ojom
    Free Member

You need new uppers.

steel4real
    Free Member

Blinking Flip – I'm sorry I'm sure you don't need some else to say, but WTF ?

Totally FUBAR'd.

tazzymtb

that looks **** death on a stick mate. who the flippin blink sold those and I take it you didn't see them before you parted with any cash. 😯

cheers_drive

I've not contacted the seller; I can't find his details and Allport posted the add for his friend (name forgotten). The stanchions have a couple of scratches that I commented on but he said they had worked fine whilst he had them (he bought the bike second hand). I notice the clunk as soon as I went off road but not whilst testing on the road so he must of known something was wrong even IF he had never taken the forks off.
    I'm not happy I was sold it but also feel stupid that I was conned. 😕

Houns

It looks like Optimus Prime has been using the steerer to pleasure himself up the wrong 'un

ojom
    Free Member

Don't feel stupid. Not your fault.

Someone somewhere should feel like a tool for selling you these.

br
    Free Member

maybe he was dupped both dupping you…

smell_it
    Free Member

If someone sold me that pile of crap, I'd be getting straight back to them. In the original ad when asked to split the forks he states there are no faults with the forks. I wouldn't feel stupid for buying it, but I would for lying back and taking it!

carlphillips
    Free Member

jeez thats disgraceful, seller should refund with full apology.

how did you think they would be ok to fit and use? they wouldn't have gone anywhere near my bike!!

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Shocking!
    Needs more pics but first impression was 1.5 forks ground down possibly?
    (could that actually be done)?

Regardless, Allport needs to come up with answers and re-imburse for new uppers…………

BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

beagle
    Free Member

I have little knowledge of 29er forks. Is there a chance this was a fork with a tapered steerer that someone has bought in error and tried to create a homemade normal 1 1/8th? Just a thought. I certainly wouldn't ride it. If I had no joy with the seller, I'd order a new CSU from the States. SRAM/rockshox parts are a fair bit cheaper there.

thomthumb
    Free Member

small claims court.

TooTall
    Free Member

That needs to be shoved where the seller has no sunshine. If it is a Reba 29er then there is nothing fancy about the fork – no taper or anything. Butchered for what reason? Baffled here.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cheapest option at a guess would be to buy a second hand fork off here and just use the csu (recon would be perfect and cheap)

iolo
    Free Member

Why the hell did you use the fork at all.
    I cant understand why you did not contact the seller immediately as that fork is obviously a death trap.
    Did the crown race fit when you put them on the bike?Probably not.

clubber
    Free Member

He bought the fork and frame as a complete bike…

iolo
    Free Member

Oh right. Fair enough then

higgo
    Free Member

Speechless (almost).

I cannot understand (a) what whoever did that was trying to achieve and (b) how they thought it was a good idea.

Kahurangi

Fitted by someone who didn't understand it was an interference fit….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Conned – Repairing badly gouged steerer that is too loose for a crown race?’ is closed to new replies.