Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Condensation on new double glazing??
  • renton
    Free Member

I had new double glazing fitted in april so this is the first winter its been fitted.

I seem to be getting a lot more condensation on them thn the previous windows and we are not sure why??

nothing else in the house has changed.

any ideas

cheers

steve

wwaswas

less air leaking around the frames and generally less air movement around the windows due to better insulation.

Squirrel

Leave the trickle vents open. You have got trickle vents, haven't you…..?

glenh
    Free Member

Have you noticed that the world is stupidly wet at the moment?
    It'll probably get better when things dry out.

renton
    Free Member

i did think it could be down to the amount of rain about at the moment!!

no we havent got vents on them?

monkeychild
    Free Member

You need to air your house squire. Open your upstairs windows in the morning and leave them on the night latch until you return.

bruneep

no we havent got vents on them?

Oh dear

I thought it was mandatory* to have them on new windows, check with installer and get them to fit some.

Otherwise,open your windows more

* could be wrong tho.

Squirrel

To comply with Building Regs the windows should be FENSA approved. FENSA require trickle vents.

wwaswas

I expect you're glad you asked now…

DT78
    Free Member

Um I'm not sure on that trickle vents are mandatory. We got DB about 5 weeks ago, and have a FENSA certificate. I'm pretty sure we were told vents were an optional (chargable) extra so we didn;t bother.

Going home in an hour so will check if we have them or not.

renton
    Free Member

yep that is right , vents were extra so we didint have them.

still got fensa certificate though

psling
    Free Member

Trickle vents are not mandatory unless the windows being replaced were required to have them under the Building Regs when originally fitted [Background ventilation under the Building Regs does not even have to be in the window frames, it could be in the form of a wall vent for example].

Warmer air has a greater capacity to hold water vapour. If there is a source of water vapour in a room and it is at or near saturation point then it will condense against the coolest surface first. If this is your window then that is where the condensation will manifest itself.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

On = ok
    In = unit change

How do you dry your laundry? Amazed at the number of people who dry on radiators and then wonder where the damp is coming from. The water has to go somewhere – it doesn't just disappear.

Cheers

project
    Free Member

Most DG has the date of manufacture on the frame or glass bead the middle bit thats silver.

Buy a dehumidifier i did and they still steam up,put on your extractor fan ,turn up the heating etc.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Is it in your bedroom? if so sleep with the bedroom door open slightly & cut down on the shagging.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

we have the same in our house, mainly in the bedroom. dont have trickle vents.

leave the window slighly open, on ours you can leave a small crack but the latch is still latched (if that makes sense :wink:)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

We have this too. It's due to you breathing and any washing drying in the house and the rainy weather etc etc etc.

Double glazing seals the house better to while it's warmer and not draughty the moisture is all caught inside. My wife doesn;t like the wondows open when sleeping and there are 5 of us here so a lot of breathing and washing etc.

We got a dehumidifier. What a difference! And you'll be surprised at the amount of water it takes out of the house!

matt_outandabout

To comply with Building Regs the windows should be FENSA approved. FENSA require trickle vents.

Incorrect. FENSA is ONE way of proving compliance, not the only way.

Damp in houses? Damp, from breathing? or washing? or showering? Who'd 'a thunk it?

I tell you what, let's pay a fortune for energy efficient glazing and frames and then open all the windows to reduce the condensation, or worse still be forced to punch holes in them (fancy name of 'trickle vents' applied to sell it to the mugs out there).

And that condensation? Main cause of asthma and excema in the UK…as well as all sorts of other conditions.

Until we build properly insulated, airtight and then ventilated houses, this will be a problem.

(We cope with it by wiping it off the walls and windows each day and then drying towel outside. Yes, we live in usual crappy UK new-build….)

http://www.natural-building.co.uk/PDF/Case%20Studies/Breathability_in_buildings.pdf

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Condensation on new double glazing??’ is closed to new replies.