Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commuting crankset choice
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Hi, I’m in the process of upgrading the drivetrain on my commuter to 10 speed. I’ve narrowed my crankset choice down to either a Deore FC-M610 48/36/26 or XT FC-T781 48/36/26 from bike-discount.de.

There’s a considerable price difference between the two, the Deore coming in at £56 and the XT at £117 – can anyone tell me the benefits of the XT over the Deore? I haven’t even been able to find out their respective weights.

Thanks.

devash
    Free Member

The Deore one should be more than enough for commuting. I don’t think there’s that much weight difference between them (perhaps 100g at the absolute max).

ampthill

I’m fairly sure the main difference is weight not function

The general vibe is that steel Deore rings will out last alloy XT.

Down at my end of the food chain I currently run a Deore and Alivio chainset and they just work and I never notice them

njee20
    Free Member

Deore

daleftw
    Free Member

Deore.

Personally, I’d be going square taper i.e. This – http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-fc-m371-crank-square-black-170mm-267317/wg_id-6862

It’s the future, man…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of going 10sp on a commuter at all, personally. You’re not in a rush, so performance is no issue, so all you’re doing is wearing out a narrower chain faster and replacing more expensive bits more often. 9sp is ridiculously cheap these days and it works just as well as it always has.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

1×9 on my commuter, on a Surly steel ring. Simpler, lighter, lasts ages.

chip
    Free Member

I run all alivio on my commuter , I think the crankset was £20 from crc.
    Reason being my commuter spends many hours chained up in public and I want to keep the desirerability factor down as not to make it top of any theifing gits to nick list.

And I have some how amassed a few new un55 bbs, probably enough to see me out so square taper all the way for my commuter.

billytinkle
    Free Member

The way I see it I do more miles on my commuter than any other bike so I may as well enjoy it!

A couple of bloody great big locks at work will hopefully offer some protection and the frame was stripped of all branding when I built it. It’s still nothing fancy, but I like it.

I have all of the 10 speed parts already and bought them all over time when I saw them for good prices. Just waiting for the current drive train to wear out and then will swap it all over.

I think the Deore makes more sense though at half the cost. Thanks all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commuting crankset choice’ is closed to new replies.