Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Commuter multi camera setup – anyone?
  • SandyThePig
    Free Member

Hi,
    After years of commuting I’ve been mooting a camera setup, just in case I have an accident with a car (I’ve been hit a few times now and each time it’s been ok and I’ve had my bike fixed etc but it does scare me somewhat if I’m hospitalised / left for dead!)

At a basic level, I’m thinking a couple of waterproof cameras coupled with a powerbank e.g:

Gopro is faaar too expensive for this so I’d be getting something fairly cheap that I’d leave on the bike and charge on the bike too (garage with plugs yay!).

The addition of the powerbank is so I don’t have to continually charge the cameras.

My concerns/considerations are:
    [list]
    [*]Ability to record while charging[/*]
    [*]Waterproofing of whole ‘system'[/*]
    [*]Reasonable performance in dark and poor weather (enough to catch a number plate)[/*]
    [*]Image stabilalisation if I’m riding along on the road (roads round here are pretty shite[/*]
    [*]Wifi/bluetooth transfer[/*]
    [*]Size and weight of everything[/*]
    [*]Overall battery life ideally more than 3-4 hours[/*]
    [/list]

Has anyone done something like this? Is it too expensive? heavy? unreliable?

Cheers,

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im in the “any more faff than there is already would be the final straw for commuting”.

If I really wanted a camera then a forward facing either helmet or bar mounted camera at least gives you a record of your version of events and will likely see anyone ‘hit and run’ from behind drive off. And unless you do somwthing stupid then beinf hit from behind isnt going to be your fault so the front camera is your evidence anyway.

At work we do the wearable cameras for fly on the wall TV, go pro’s are crap (compared to a broadcast quality bullet/lipstick cam) but are sometimes the best option. Our alternative (to do your whishlist) would cost about £3k and involve a few bespoke parts (and would still involve probably a kilo of batteries).

g5604
    Free Member

Not sure a camera is going to solve your problem

Bez

You’re going to struggle (at best) to tick all your boxes even with a bucket of cash, but… what’s the actual ballpark budget?

zilog6128

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Commuter multi camera setup – anyone?’ is closed to new replies.