Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commute recommendations, 15 miles each way
  • aw
    Free Member

I am a veteran commuter but would like to hear tips for surviving the winter commute?

I currently use a boardman team carbon with mudguards fitted

I also have used a genesis flyer single speed but it’s a little hilly on the way home so hard work and have struggled to fit mudguards to it.

The distance is 30 miles total and is downhill in and pretty much uphill all the way home!

Maybe I need a more robust bike just for the commute. I use my boardman as my main road bike

danti

It sounds like you’ve almost answered your own question, being a “veteran” get rid of the Genesis singlespeed and if you like their geometry etc then get something like a Day One / CdF or Planet X Kaffenback which will be a bit comfier for 15 miles and fit compact chainset, guards and some decent puncture proof tyres like Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
    They’re a bit heavier than some but do you want to be faffing with a puncture on a dark morning/night?

beefheart
    Free Member

I have never bothered with mudguards- if it rains, I get a wet arse, but I remain slick, sleek and fast…
    (I do however get to shower, wash clothes and change at work…).
    Gears are probably your friend, especially when there is any gradient to be considered.
    On my road bike, I haven’t had a puncture since fitting Conti Gatorskins.
    On my MTB, I haven’t had a puncture since going tubeless.

flap_jack
    Free Member

On my road bike, I haven’t had a puncture since fitting Conti Gatorskins.

This. Remarkable toughness. No grip, mind…

alansd1980

I have a 35 mile round trip, downhill in and uphill home.
    Don’t underestimate how hard it can be home on a wet windy evening after a long day.
    I’d stick with a road bike but try and find one that will take full guards. It will be more comfortable for you and its a courtesy to the other commuters. I get sick of people pulling in front and sending road spray into my face.

+1 for gatorskins

Olly
    Free Member

Im a fatty, so i use one of these….

[nothelpfulgoaway]

[/nothelpfulgoaway]
    😉

aw
    Free Member

I have mixed feelings regarding mudguards

I wonder if something more robust like a hybrid or cyclocross would be better?

TiRed

for a hilly commute, I’d ditch the singlespeed and buy something else with:

1) full SKS P35 chromoplastic mudguards
    2) front hub dynamo
    3) rack and pannier

I prefer Schwalbe Durano S or Plus tyres as I like grip in the wet. 25c are a good compromise for weight and speed. Nothing wrong with the carbon Boardman, nice geometry but it won’t take a rack. If you don’t need to carry much a Topeak Beamrack might be enough. But for 90 minutes a day, I would not want to wear a rucksack.

poly
    Free Member

ribble 365?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commute recommendations, 15 miles each way’ is closed to new replies.