Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • commute pedal & shoe recommendation please?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I’ve been using my shimano shoes and 105 pedals for the last 12months and because I have a decent walk into work once I park the bike up I’m eating through cleats. I’ve been buying a set every month so I would like a more harder wearing set up. No I don’t want trainers and mountain bike pedals. I forgot the abbreviation for it but I seen someone today with some very robust shoes and clip pedals. They looked like they would last me ages.??

Thanks for help.

simondbarnes

Get some cleat covers for your shimano cleats or switch to a mountain bike spd setup.

jacob46
    Free Member

Spd! That’s it, thanks for that. I just need a decent pair of shoes and pedals now, any names?

simondbarnes

Shimano make the best pedals IME. Even the basic PD-M520s last for ages and they’re really cheap. Shoes – whichever ones fit your feet best.

whitestone
    Free Member

Shoes are a personal thing, what fits one person won’t fit the next, one of the few things it isn’t worth buying via the interweb (unless you know the model and size is right for you). Go to your LBS and try a few on.

FWIW I’ve a pair of Shimano shoes for commuting/touring. No idea of model, fastens via three velcro straps.

simon_g

Whichever Shimano pedals you can get your hands on cheap. M520 / 530 / 540, or A530 if you want to ride in normal shoes occasionally.

Any shoes you like. I like Shimano stuff and if you’re happy with the fit of your Shimano road shoes then you’re likely to like the MTB equivalent too. A pair of MW81s are ideal for this time of year if you’re an all-weather commuter, then get something lighter when it gets warmer.

jacob46
    Free Member

Yes I commute in all weather’s and shimano will do.

Shoes I have found for 39.99 at wiggle.

Pedals?

brooess
    Free Member

Shimano MTB SPDs. Much better for walking in, much better for getting a quick start off the lights.
    I wouldn’t fancy walking like a constipated penguin past work colleagues either 🙂

simon_g

Pedals?

If you’re shopping at Wiggle, these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m530-mtb-spd-trail-pedals/

Scapegoat

My favoured combination has been Spesh BG carbon experts and PD A600 pedals. The stiff carbon soles great for use with the single sided SPD pedals which are light and look good on the bike. Shimano market them as Ultegra standard touring pedals.

wiggles
    Free Member

Check out the specialized cadet shoes, recessed cleat and look like trainers for a less bike shoe look.for

reggiegasket
    Free Member

high – Spesh/Sidi carbon-soled shoes and XT/A600 spuds
    mid – Spesh/Shimano regular shoes and PDM540s
    low – Shimano/DHB and M520s

Definitely Shimano pedals and whichever shoe suits your feet/budget.

See McConvey cycles for recent sale prices on Spesh shoes

Mikeypies
    Free Member

For daily commute I would bin shimano and go for the cheapest time atac pedal, fit and forget nothing to adjust or to break.

edhornby

520s are brilliant for commuting because they are cheap, indestructable and maintainable if you need to (but at that price they are practically a consumable)
    whatever bargain shoes, remember that they are going to be massively abused because they will be worn daily in all kinds of crappy weather. Wash and replace the insoles.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I binned road pedals for the commute and I’ve never looked back. MTB SPDs are a whole world away in: walking properly, not replacing cleats all the time and less faff. A whole load cheaper too. In use the cheap trail pedals.

longmover
    Free Member

I use 105 pedals and NW Torpedo ahoes, when i get to work I take of my shoes and walk up to the office in flip flops.

monkeyboyjc

I used to use some Specialized shoes when I commuted for 4 or 5 years. Really good if your commute involves a bit of a walk. This is the current version:
    http://m.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/shoes/recreational-fitness-shoes/cadet
    Pair them up with some shimano m520 spd’s and your good to go.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘commute pedal & shoe recommendation please?’ is closed to new replies.