Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Comfort touring bike – ok for dirt road?
  • anita28
    Free Member

I am new to the forum and don’t know much about bikes and I would like your advice. I plan to rent a bike for doing the Portuguese Way of St James from Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela (Spain), a 9-day trip. I would avoid stony climbs and descends, but would encounter dirt road and may be gravel road, although most of the route I’d do on paved road, including the typical Portuguese cobbled streets. There may also be very short sections (a few hundred metres) of medieval Roman roads. The total weight on the bike including myself is less than 60kg. I would like to know whether a comfort touring bike (Giant – Shimano SLX 30 speed, Hydraulic Disc Brakes, Touring tires wheel size 700 ) could be used for my purpose. Or is it better that I use a mountain bike (Giant – Front Suspension 100mm(4″), Shimano SLX/XT 30 speed, Hydraulic Disc Brakes, Off-road tires 26×2.25). One concern that I have with a mountain bike is that the tyres are going to generate too much vibration when I’m on paved road, which would account for 80% of the route I take. Thank you in advance for your advice.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Either will be fine. You can ride all sorts of surfaces on a touring bike as long as you go a bit easy in the rough bits. If it’s mostly on road I’d swing that way personally.

🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Why do ‘t you go ride a few gravel roads to see? We have no idea what you find comfortable.

jonba
    Free Member

Touring bike should be ok if you go easy. Most take relatively fat tyres so maybe fit something 28-32mm. Alternatively some slick tyres on the mountain bike would work.

I’ve ridden my very racy road bike on gravel occasionally. The pros race on the stuff in the classics.

Agency_Scum
    Free Member

The road bike you describe sounds fine and will give you much more options. Plot now where on your course the nearest bike shops will be day to day.

Sandwich

Most of the hire/holiday companies will be using hybrid bikes for that trip. Cyclocross bike or large wheeled hard tail will suffice. The Saints ways are all trade routes to Santiago nowadays.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Comfort touring bike – ok for dirt road?’ is closed to new replies.