Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Combination Lock v Key Lock v Padlock
  • teef
    Free Member

Looking at getting a Master Lock chain and I can’t decide whether to go for the Combination lock, Key lock or Padlock option. Is one better / stronger than the other? Any other chain recommendations at similar price range <£20?

proutster
    Free Member

Doesn’t answer your question, but here’s a quote from the Pragmasis website (www.securityforbikes.com):

Use a good-quality chain and lock or D-lock!
    Use the best security you can afford. Don’t secure a £2,000 bicycle with a £20 lock!

Police guidelines are to spend 10-15% of the value of the item on its security. This is a simple statement that can become inappropriate at the extremes, but it gives you an idea of what might be appropriate if you know the value of your bike.

Try to avoid using cable locks altogether as virtually all of them are very poor as deterrents. There are several ways these can be attacked, not least with cable cutters(!), but hacksaws and wire-cutters etc will often only take just seconds to get through cables.

So if your bike is worth £200-300 then go for the <£20 lock….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nothing’s infallible, my oppiniin was always to take 2 locks (or leave 2 behind at work/uni/wherever), one D-lock, one chain/cable. Both can be broken with cheap tools (D-locks can be pulled appart by a bottle jack, chains/cables cut by bolt cutters). But it would take a very tooled up and determined thief to be carrying round both. Put the D-lock through the frame/rear wheel and arround a lampost. Then the cabl/chain through the front wheel,frame etc untill it’s tight, the idea being that both locks should be as full as possible to stop the thief getting their tools in or having anything to lever them against.

The lock doesn’t really matter unless it’s significenlty weaker than the rest of the chain/lock, combination locks can be cracked fairly easily, but it’ll still be quicker to just snip through the cable/chain.

durhamrob
    Free Member

I’m very much of the opinion that if someone wants your bike badly enough they will get it regardless of what lock you use. At best its a small deterrent.

Buy whatever lock meets the minimum specified by your insurance company (mine has no minimum so i use a £20 D-lock) and be done with it – worst case scenario you get a nice new shiny bike 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Combination Lock v Key Lock v Padlock’ is closed to new replies.