Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Collie Help
  • northshoreniall

Good morning all, hoping somebody has got some advice. Have approx 15yr old border collie (rescue centre dog) who for past couple months has started waking at 05:00 and barking, single bark every few minutes until we come down to him.
    Won’t come up to bed with us, sometimes looks bit afraid. Co-incidentally we have met someone who rehomed his brother from same centre and apparently he has dementia so not sure if this an issue. We are going take to vets for check up obviously.
    Anyhoo – any suggestions on managing this – not too keen on 5 a.m. wake up calls anymore 🙁 We are going to try leaving a night light on so when wakes can see where he is.
    sorry bit rambling, it must be the sleep deprivation.
    Cheers

jimjam
    Free Member

Our Collie /Lab cross did the same at about 14, followed by loss of bowel control, then loss of sight. She used to bark from about 2am to 4am. I’m sure you’re aware that the dog is getting close to the end of it’s lifespan. Eventually you are going to have to make an unpleasant call.

My father in law always has three or four collies about since he’s a sheep farmer. They never get anywhere near fifteen when they are working every day, so your dog’s had a good stretch.

northshoreniall

Cheers.
    Aye, he’s had good lifespan to date. Eyes starting go and I think you right about where heading, though its not unknown for soft indoor residents such as mine to make 21!

Going try make few adjustments to routine and see how goes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Collie Help’ is closed to new replies.