Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 'Cold day'?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

“It’s -6C outside. Me and the dogs don’t want to go for a walk but they’re not allowed to shit in the house. I need to stay home till it gets to 1C so that we don’t freeze instantly on leaving the house. I won’t be in today”.

Draft email for work, you think it’s alright? Not much snow here but it seems wrong that one part of the country should be treated differently to other parts.

wrightyson
    Free Member

For some reason out kids have been told to arrive at school for 9.30. Lessons usually start at 8.30. Why should they lie in longer than me. I’m thinking of making my cornflakes very loudly this morning….

jam-bo

Look on the bright side, you can use that bag of warm dog shit as a hand warmer.

scruff9252

I unilaterally decree that all non essential travel today is banned.

Therefore it is very much a work from home day. I’m planning home made soup & bread for lunch with a pot of coffee.

You’re welcome

hodgynd
    Free Member

-11c in N.W.Northumberland ..but in an area that normally gets more than its fair share of the white stuff ..not a flake has fallen this weekend 😆

scaled
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m not going in this morning. Went down hard on the ice last year and I’m not keen to repeat it.

I currently only have a twitchy road bike to ride as well. Would probably have had a bash on the escapade.

franksinatra

Just back from walking the the dog. -11c here but no snow. Beautiful day.

wallop

I’m still in bed and haven’t looked out of the window yet. I can hear wind – both outside and coming from my husband next to me.

mikey74
    Free Member

Heavy rain here.

darrell
    Free Member

50cm of fresh powder snow here this weekend and yesterday was -11C

was a perfect weekend

allfankledup

Spent most of the weekend outside – marshalling at an event on Saturday, then walking the dog. Temperatures below freezing most of the time. Dog was still swimming in the sea

Put on your big coat – you’ll be fine.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sorry OP, think you’ve got a typo in there.

Dogs don’t freeze instantly at -6, should be -26 i think.
    Might want to correct it before you get laughed at by your manager.

piemonster

Look on the bright side, you can use that bag of warm dog shit as a hand warmer.

Why would you do that? Just leave that stuff on the path where the dog dropped it, hide it under some leaves if you feel the need……..

hammyuk
    Free Member

-3/-11 here – 30+mph winds causing heavy wind chill.
    School closed on the Varteg due to the amount of snow and now the ice.

lunge

Working from home here, no point messing around with bad railways and frozen roads. I’ve told all my team to do the same.

But if I’d got that message you wrote from one of them I’d have laughed at them. Dogs don’t freeze at -6 and neither do you. If you’re going to make an excuse at least make it a good one.

funkmasterp

Just taken the bins to the end of the drive whilst in my pyjamas and with nothing on my feet. It’s a bit nippy here in Macclesfield. Day off work for me as Mrs F was rushed to hospital last night with sepsis from a chest infection. Hooked up to a driip and on antibiotics now.

Just me, Funk Jr and Six week old Lil Miss Funk today. All with coughs 😐

trademark
    Free Member

Minus 3 here in East Durham.
    I’ll be on the railway lines later 🙂

ahsat

-6 in West Yorkshire. Train only 1 min delayed. It’s been sub zero for most of the last two weeks. Anyway, I’ll be damned if I am missing my physio apt on my knee. Plus the boiler is getting replaced, so left p20 at home with the woodburner as the rest of the house is going to be freezing (and the woodburner is in the room with the door the guys need to go out of!).

nickc

Off to Salford in a bit. Roads clear, bit nippy, don’t know what all the fuss is about…

whitestone
    Free Member

-5C just outside Skipton. Apart from our lane end the roads were clear. There’s a smattering of snow in the fields and on the tops. Took a few minutes to defrost the car and get all the windows clear but apart from that it’s situation normal.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just off surfing.

Y’all lightweights.

My email to work consisted of this:

“Good morning all, Good weekend? 0900 delayed due to attendees delays, please reschedule for 1200. Urgent issues, please call me, non urgent but important please call Sanjib and Legal, feel free to mail.”

Bum tish.

binners

Well below freezing here in East Lancs, but that’s hardly news. Roads are all gritted and clear. Looking forward to tonights Monday Night Pub Ride. 😀

ourmaninthenorth

-5 in West Lancs. Cleared the windows of three cars in my shirtsleeves at 7am.

Both cats dashed out first thing and will be outdoors all day.

Tell your canines to DTFU..!

miketually
    Free Member

About -6C here in Darlington this morning. My toes and ears got a little bit cold on the bike ride in to work.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s a balmy -1c here in Cardiff today, Wind-Chill is a sumbitch though! Office, as ever freezing on a Monday.

It’s meant to be -6c this evening plus wind-chill.

scaled
    Free Member

I made it into the office but was a bit of a tactical error.

Loads of small ice patches but made it in unscathed. Should have stayed at home and just whacked the log burner on

core

Tried to go to local satellite office, main road was OK, side roads and car parks in town all a waste of time, cars abandoned everywhere, nearly got stuck twice just trying to negotiate main drag through town. So couldn’t park anywhwere safe, and certianly not without getting stuck.

Road full of drivers doing 40-50mph on ice/slush who don’t realise that while you can get going it’s the stopping that’s the problem. I’ve come home, have done some work but gonna have a half day.

310mm of snow locally without drifts.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’s officially “a bit nippy” in Saltburn.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Call with colleagues only attended by 4 of the 11, gets are all out enjoying the snow 😀
    I had a great surf BTW.

jam-bo

I had a great surf BTW

Me too. Bloody cold though, 1deg when I got in, 3deg when I got out. Need some new boots.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh my, that looks booming lovely..

Secret spot or are you prepared to divulge location?

It ain’t one I recognise.

But.. if you change the colour of the water for poo Brown, remove the cliffs and throw some buckets of shingle on it… it would be the same as where I surfed today (Bracklesham)

jam-bo

Tregantle, Whitsand bay.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Very nice, yep..very nice indeed.

pennine
    Free Member

Nice day in Yorkshire Dales -6

jam-bo

Very nice, yep..very nice indeed.

Bit small, but I couldn’t be arsed to trek all the way down to praa/leven

legalalien
    Free Member

Found out a few years ago that ‘Cold Days’ are actually a thing over here in the US. They close the schools in certain states when it gets down to about 5 degF (about -15 degC).

Most kids get the school bus and they don’t want the kids to show up at school with frostbite. There are obviously some states that are colder than this for prolonged periods and they do things differently.

Where I’ve lived (Detroit and Washington State), my kids have had plenty of proper snow days with the odd few cold days. I still had to go to work on all of them. 🙄

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘'Cold day'?’ is closed to new replies.