Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin advice (Stag Doo set up)
  • alishand

Some of you kind STWers helped me out a couple of weeks ago with deciding on a trail centre in North Wales which would form part of the events for a stag doo weekender.

In the end, I settled on Coed Y Brenin. Now having confirmed the itinerary for the weekend, and having never been to Coed Y Brenin, I would appreciate your opinions on my set up for the mornings sesh:

My plan so far:

1) Arrive early doors for bike hire set up etc, and the pre-requisite adorning of the Stag’s own bike with tassles, spokey dokeys etc…

2) Spend at least an hour at the skills area for a warm up, and to scope out the skill levels of all those attending (which I can safely assume will be, well, varying….).

3) Based on the skills areas the party will be split into two groups, roughly representing their skill levels / personal aspirations for self destruction.

4) One group will be sent onto an ‘appropriate’ blue route, with me hanging back to make sure no-one gets left behind / brains themselves.

4) Group 2 heads onto a red route with the Stag acting as the back up.

5) Groups return to skills area nackered, potentially bruised, and ready for a drink whilst watching the Rugby World Cup. Myself and Stag, time dependant, hit a couple of black descents just so gets gets his adrenaline fix.

Now for your help/advice: Can any of you friendly Coed Y Brenin locals recommend a red route / loop which could be completed in about 1.5 – 2hrs? There are a number of options on the website, but as we all know its the experience of those who have actually done it that counts.

Recommendations for some nice tech descents would also be greatly received.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you were my best man I’d sack you.

soobalias
    Free Member

can everyone going actually ride a bike?

skip the skills area
    all do the blue, rtn to cafe. the knackered/endangered can then sit and eat or play in the skills area, do blue again… while the rest do the red fox (something something coch) when the route heads back to the centre,
    split again,
    those up for it head up the firetracks to uncle fester etc and/or winch up the hill for the final descent (flightpath?)

that should take you to lunch, then the fit group do the beast, while the fat knackers do tarw du

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I would suggest going to Antur instead.
    Book a half day riding and then go on the bouncy trampolines or zip wire.
    Good cafe,pub and the air ambulance knows it’s way there 🙂
    Betws y coed The Royal Oak Stables to watch the rugby.
    Llandudno for some nightlife,not much though! 🙂

alishand

If you were my best man I’d sack you.

Lucky that I’m not the best man then!

alishand

can everyone going actually ride a bike?

skip the skills area
    all do the blue, rtn to cafe. the knackered/endangered can then sit and eat or play in the skills area, do blue again… while the rest do the red fox (something something coch) when the route heads back to the centre,
    split again,
    those up for it head up the firetracks to uncle fester etc and/or winch up the hill for the final descent (flightpath?)

that should take you to lunch, then the fit group do the beast, while the fat knackers do tarw du

Now this sounds much more sensible – cheers for the advice.

Yup, all can ride a bike, but as I say skill levels will vary. I like your idea of all going out then coming back, a much better idea than splitting the group up.

mark88

The skills area wasn’t open when we went, but the Minor Taur is an easy enough ride for everyone to get around and allow you to assess skills.
    We rode the Beast, it is more XC orientated than most trail centres, so it is ‘black’ because of fitness required rather than difficulty, so as long as people are fit enough, most would get round OK (although it may involve lots of waiting).
    The pub up the road near the hostel did decent post ride food and we had a good laugh with the staff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin advice (Stag Doo set up)’ is closed to new replies.