Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Climbers/walkers – jacket choice question – which would you choose?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Now I am not making any bold claims to becoming the next Shackleton or even Grylls but I need a warm jacket with a hood…I’ve liked synthetic insulation jackets in the past so that’s what I’m after…which would you pick out of these? I’m not talking about tackling the Beardmore, more just for walking with a buggy in the usually(but not today when it’s sunny!) shan weather we get here in Scotland…

a)Montane Ice Guide or b)Mountain Equipment Citadel

I’m sure someone will have other unrelated recommendations, all are welcome and gratefully received…

footflaps

I was just looking at the Montane Ice Guide last night – seems to be out of stock in medium just about everywhere….

xcgb
    Free Member

I have now become a montane fan, I have an extreme smock and although its mainly used for dog walking in coldest winter its a great bit of kit. their stuff just seems to work

footflaps

My winter cycling gloves are their Freeflow Mantle – superb piece of kit.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Thumbs up for the Ice Guide here (not me reviewing it)

jam-bo

arcteryx atom hoody. I have the vest version and its very very good.

MussEd
    Free Member

Cheers Colonel, saw that review this morning. Think the Ice Guide has it, have other Motane stuff, always good in my experience. And not too expensive compared to other makes….thanks all.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

have a look at the Paramo Velez Adventure i got the smock and think it’s great (was cheap though). Side zips open all the way, which is a bit weird, but apart from that excellent.. Also available as jacket I believe. Cycle style bum cover, but IMO it’s a bit warm for cycling
    Also i have a Rab Generator vest. This is also available as jacket (arms, no hood) and alpine jacket (jacket + hood). It’s one of my favorite bits of clothing and assuming the jackets are anywhere as near good as the vest, i’d recommend very, very highly.

brack
    Free Member

Please don’t mention that eejit Grylls in the same sentence as one of the worlds finest explorers Sir Ernest shackleton.

That is all

dknwhy

I prefer to layer up. Have a Montane Fireball smock for insulation )although it is Pertex so showerproof too.
    I then have a Berghaus Temperance II for over the top if it’s raining although with the hood up it gets pretty warm.

MussEd
    Free Member

Was merely used to show the spectrum of exploring-y awesomeness I do not even claim to be on. Ie Shackleton good, Gryll not so much. Keep your seal-fur smock on precious…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

jeeezo another giant high horse escapes the findus factory and makes it’s way to stw central

MussEd
    Free Member

Eh? Me or brack? I was only joshing, but I never included any emoticons so maybe it was lost…thought from the tone of the OP and that last one it was obvious. Ah well…

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Have a look at the Montane Prism or TNF Redpoint. I’ve had both and are very warm. Prism a better fit though.

colande
    Free Member

other unrelated recommendations

I prefer to layer up as well and have a waterproof hardshell,

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’d layer up a rab generator (primaloft) and a rab stretch neo, personally… mebbe a ME changabang if i was more into the mountaineering side of things.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

MussEd – Member

Eh? Me or brack? I was only joshing, but I never included any emoticons so maybe it was lost…thought from the tone of the OP and that last one it was obvious. Ah well..
    naah, not you

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Climbers/walkers – jacket choice question – which would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.