Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)
  • CLIC24, who’s on board?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah very much so – I had it at the Bike Fest last year where he was already two thirds past me and only said on your left because he’d then clipped me – possibly the dumbest place on the course to pass at the time.

clubber
    Free Member

Just wait until the LVIS Singlespeed Superstars get going! They’ll be ripping it up. Or more likely, oversleeping, missing the start then getting beered up 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

I found with events like the Bike Fest and I suspect this one, actually asking “can I pass when you’re ready” generally results in most riders pulling over almost immediately in a rather calm way and I always make sure that I’m coming across probably overly grateful when I go through.

Probably helps that I know the Bike Fest course so well and probably time my requests well mind.

Steve, if you’re bashing out 32mins for the bike fest I’d be concerned about beating you round the course. I’ve not done a hot lap since last year (34 mins) but I know that while my all day endurance is well up, I’m not sure I’ve got any faster over a whole single lap. Shame because my goal was to go sub 30 mins this year and I deffo won’t do that if I’m riding Solo LOL

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

As GaryLake says, it’s those that ask to pass as they’re already part way past you that are the issue. I’ve done my fair share of XC and Endurance racing and it is never the lead riders that are the problem either.

It’s those that are battling for places half way down the field who have nothing to gain in the overall result that barge past with little or no consideration. I know they’re the exception, but it appals me to see it at an event like CLIC which isn’t a race and where you have a fair number of novice riders.

clubber
    Free Member

Did this really happen on the CLIC? I’d be amazed that anyone that serious would be there as it’s a pretty non-racy race without even official placings (just numbers of laps).

I did notice some **** at the Bristol 12 a couple of years ago but they’re definitely the exception and I just make a point of not letting them past if they behave like that. I reckon they learn soon enough.

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve seen it a couple of times over the years at CLIC. I guess some people use it as a warm up for races Mayhem and SITS etc.

sharki
    Free Member

I always say one your left/right…but that’s at the rider behind, wanting to pass, they pass when i see somewhere for them to do so, if they’re that quick i put a spurt on as not to slow them up, unless i’m dying then i stop and let them go. But they pass when I let them…..fookers!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Never had any issues with try hards at the CLIC, very laid back and chilled event, which is why I do it. In fact, I often think maybe I’m taking it too seriously and that is an uncommon accusation right enough 😉

clubber
    Free Member

You’re such a tryhard, adh 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You’re such a tryhard, adh [:)]

Isn’t he just, look here he is sneering at riders not trying hard enough..

clubber
    Free Member

And this is with sound turned on 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Heh..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You need to apply that speech bubble to this MBR posed photo..

GaryLake
    Free Member

Priceless! 😆

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’m going to be doing some photos there in between laps (assuming I can be arsed one it all kicks off)

Post your rider numbers and I’ll keep an eye out…

slugwash
    Free Member

Post your rider numbers and I’ll keep an eye out…

My rider number is 424.

And, for your reference, if my rider number’s covered in mud then this is what I look like….

And, I’ve just checked the Chateau de Slugwash cellars and decided that there’s a couple of gallons of good ‘ole South Devon vintage 2008 Scrumpy that’s ready for consumption and’ll
    be doing STW’er energy drink duty come Saturday night.

Flag me down 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

I’ll be there – ancient Bontrager and equally ancient Bonty rasta kit.

Am a Mendip native in exile, so don’t care about the weather. I just want to get back home! 😀

racemonkey

I’ll be there on my ancient canondale if I finish putting it back together in time.

It’ll be my first time doing CLIC solo hopefully not breaking my seatpost at 12.20 on Saturday like I did in 2007. 🙂

Shinythings
    Free Member

Me too.

Although if it’s p*****g down like it did in ’07, then I’ll be getting steadily ‘under the weather’ with the Clevedon lads and Slugwash’s dodgy homebrew by the sound of it.

Seem to remember Sharki joining us round the wood burner out of the rain with a knackered knee in ’07 😀 Plenty of room in Sweetjumps 300 berth marquee if you want to join us again, he won’t mind.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I prefer “a droit!”

makes people think you’re French y’see.

sharki
    Free Member

Book me a corner Jim and i’ll keep the fires burning, unless i’ve bobbed of up int hills to heckle and take pics..

Shinythings
    Free Member

No prob, will be the usual bunch chilling and possibly riding.
    Going up Friday tea if you fancy the band and grub evening. Be back home Sunday mid afternoon.

simondbarnes

KINGTUT – Member

**** hell Simon, just checked your just giving site, well done I doff my hat to you.

Cheers. Could still do with more though! See you there. Think I’m number 371. Probably be riding my Soda with skinny, fast tyres. If it’s muddy I’ll be on my pink 1×1 assuming I get around to putting some brakes on it between now and then.

http://www.justgiving.com/simondbarnes

sharki
    Free Member

Have said to mr slug, that a lift from him would be cool on sat morn…but a pardee on fri night…Hmmmmm, would still need lift is there’s room……and wouldn’t mind taking the bike so i can get up top for photos..

Shinythings
    Free Member

Just let me or he know, either of us can give you a lift.

Just sorting some of my gear now and adding the wet gear 😥

gixer.john
    Free Member

Will be the missus first time camping – don’t think she is going to be too enamoured about spending a day and a half in a muddy field. She’s not a rider so will be bored sensless i think.

I’m number 89, most probably on an ally Whyte 19.

racemonkey

gixer.john

Make sure she takes plenty of warm clothes with her.

Me and my mate got the wives to camp in 2006 and both of them said it was the coldest they’d ever been and that was with them wearing all their clothes in their sleeping bags.

I stayed pretty toasty though.

cheers_drive

Cheesy riders team of 4 with Gary Lake, Ransos, and Iamconfusedagain. Riding a Meta 5 or a Purple PA depending on weather / mood / maintenance.
    Doing it mainly for the event; it’s only down the road, never done a 24hr event before, and it will be good training for the Bristol bikefest. The charity part is good too though, and I’ve been amazed how easy it has been to raise money and now feel inspired to do more charity events (obviously cycling orientated).
    http://www.justgiving.com/rj7788

ollieT
    Free Member

I will be there riding for Bikecity again. A couple of us went up there last night and done a couple laps and the course was perfect but we have had some rain overnight and the weather doesnt look good here today.Lets hope all the rain comes today and not the weekend.

And how the f*ck did they manage to do 35 laps – did they have pros riding for them or something? It reminds me of when I got overtaken (like I was standing still) on the Bristol Bikefest a few years back by a geezer riding for an LBS. Turned out it was Paul Lazenby…

We did do 35 laps last year but none of us are pros were just local riders who like to ride fast. 😀

judderman
    Free Member

Ollie YGM, cracking ride last night! Jewson was true to form: stacked three times 😆 see you Sat have your racing boots on 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Tres amusant clubber 😆

xc-steve
    Free Member

Hmm Friday’s weather doesn’t look to great! But Sat and Sun morning look dry… well not raining! Hmm

ransos
    Free Member

We did do 35 laps last year but none of us are pros were just local riders who like to ride fast

Me too. I find that my legs have other ideas!

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Rode the loop last night, it was a bit greasy in places but pushed out 2 45/50 min laps so it’s still riding pretty quick.

Got caught out as you go into the second stream crossing where there is a slight split level on the track and where it was greasy my wheel nearly washed out and then sent me up the bank! – lol

There was 2 cheeky ladies riding on the mendips as well last night 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hmmmm, Metcheck is forecasting a LOT less rain.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hmmmm, Metcheck is forecasting a LOT less rain.

I feel like going to Metcheck’s office and kicking them in the foo foo, they change the forcast for BS40 umpteen times a day.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That split level (just after the small root step) is a new erosion feature this year. Its going to catch a lot of people out I expect.

You can carry speed across the step and before you know it you’re off camber heading into the stream, on clay with no grip.

Exciting! 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

Parade lap might be handy then 🙂

I was out spannering and cleaning last night. Just as I’d got the thing looking and working spotlessly and like new – I asked myself, what was the point of that.

Last night, just starting out…

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

You can carry speed across the step and before you know it you’re off camber heading into the stream, on clay with no grip.

Just thought as well, last year the photographer was there ** peers over monitor and looks at last years photo on wall ** could be some comedy photos as well 😆

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I asked myself, what was the point of that

So when the sun is shining on the start line at 12:00 you can dazzle all the other riders with your clean, perfectly working bike 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘CLIC24, who’s on board?’ is closed to new replies.