Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cleat stuck!
  • rascal
    Free Member

New pedals arrived…hooray!
    3 cleat bolts out but one rounded off and not coming out…boooo!
    Is drilling the only way? Anyone done it?

Drac

Drill it takes seconds.

mangatank
    Free Member

Drill, or cut the cleat in two across the offending bolt.

jimification
    Free Member

Yep, often have to resort to the drill on cleats and rotor bolts. I would try to hacksaw a slot into it first and undo it with a flathead screwdriver if you can, though. (works better on “proud” rotor bolts)

If you have to drill, a decent drill bit will make a world of difference.

bryan-g-

Yup drill.

somafunk

Try a torx bit hammered into the rounded hex head as this may free off the seized “bond” between the recessed head and the surface of the cleat, the torx splines will also grab onto the rounded hex head and it may be easier to remove.

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers all…will try the Torx – if that fails it’s drilltime! Job for the morning 😕

patriotpro
    Free Member

Rounded-off bolt-heads 👿

The Bain of my life right now.

Failing the above methods, use a dremmel to cut flat-head screwdriver grooves in to the bolt-head and unscrew I out. Spray it with a penetrant spray first….

Cheezpleez

When drilling, aim only to remove the head of the bolt, leaving a good stump that you can turn with mole grips.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Try hammering your Allen key into the rounded off bolt first – cleat bolts fill up with mud. Clear as much as you can with a knife or something – then hammer in your Allen key. I’ve found that you can access fresh unrounded off bolt doing this and get it out

theotherjonv

People laugh at me when I say I back off my cleat bolts a turn or two after every ride. Saves effort in the long term.

rascal
    Free Member

Torx didn’t work.
    Attacked it with a drill and a (blunt) drill bit – nothing!
    Bought a new metal bit today. The saga continues…but must wait til tomorrow as the spag bol is nearly done and I’ve had a bit of wine and an Erdinger…which could end badly 😀

mangatank
    Free Member

Hack saw.

carlos
    Free Member

^^ that. – hacksaw/dremel/angle grinder or whatever you have to cut the cleat in half, remove the cleat completely, drop of oil on threads, leave to soak for an hr or so, then get a good grip of the bolt head with some pliers or molgrips and undo as normal.

Sorted

rascal
    Free Member

New drill bit might as well have been made of cheese 😕
    Nothing a hammer and chisel couldn’t sort though. New cleats installed…end of story 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cleat stuck!’ is closed to new replies.