Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Classic motorbike market – any experts?
  • bedmaker

What with the downturn and all, is now a good time to buy a classic bike?
    I’m guesing the market for £3-4000 bikes is fairly constant and largely unaffected by economic woes in the way that the market for £50,000 e types and the like might be.
    Anyone know much about this?

dogbert
    Free Member

you can get a Classic Bike buyers guide from Sainsburys and what not, i picked one up just to look at the pictures, but they give you a good idea of what is a good buy. At the moment i would presume late 70’s/early 80’s japanese bikes:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OMG – not a plastic maggot (cx 500) as a classic please.

Woody
    Free Member

I’m not an expert but from having the occasional look around there does seem to have been a slowing of the market. From what I’ve seen, prices for the most desirable models are still good and some acknowledged classics appear to go for silly money at the top end, as do vintage race bikes.

People are being a bit more choosy down the food chain and it’s a bit odd for more modern ‘classics’ eg. I’m selling my ’92 XTZ660 Tenere which seems to be worth considerably less than a ’89 XT600 and XT500’s from the 70/80’s are going for thousands!

What sort of classic are you looking for and price range?

Edit: could be worse TJ – I’ve seen Honda Dream’s touted as classics 😯

Woody
    Free Member

Vintage bikes for sale with some very scary prices!

Nice Vincent 😯

supertacky
    Free Member

My father bought a 1953 Triumph T110 about six years ago for £4k. Last week he was offered £10k for it. Not concourse but in good usable condition.

The classic market is a fickle thing. Honda RC30 is a good expamle of a bike that would never go down in value because of its race heritage.

I kick myself that I past up a chance to buy one about ten years ago.

totalshell

classic brit bike prices still soaring, esp. velocettes all of which now out of your price range for your 4k you should still be just able to buy a big banger but it will require work. you could of course stump up for some 80’s jap stuff but buy wisely look at what everyone else is buying and play safe.
    i collect and ride pre 65 trials i have some genuine bikes and some expensively modified specialst stuff the prices for all of which are rising very quickly and sustainably as they aint making any more of them

singlecrack
    Free Member

If you can try and get a good 80s-90s two stroke
    they are rocketing in value and will prob continue to do so.

Me I’m still on the lookout for a mint Aprilia rs 250 Biaggi rep 😆

Woody
    Free Member

totalshell

Do you by any chance do the one at Beamish in the NE. Always meant to have a look as it finishes virtually on my doorstep?

bedmaker

not really too fussed what I get, as long as it is feaster than a bantam but slower than a fireblade.
    Fancy an old brit, but a decent one is pricy. Probably a good investment though should I have to sell.
    Woody, not a Tenere, but this dominator based flattie was in BSH a while back. Didn’t cost much but looks just gorgeous

Realistically a tidy early Jap of some sort is most likely.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

To the OP. What are you interested in?

bedmaker

I’m interested in something like this ideally
    triumph bonnie
    But don’t have anything specific I’m hunting for.
    Wouldn’t mind a jap bike, would love a harley wla but don’t have the cash.

tomaso
    Free Member

This is a good website and the guys that run it know their stuff. I bought an 80s XL600 from there years back. They ain’t cheap but good stuff never is
    classicbikes.co.uk

I’ve got a 88 RGV250 Wolf and I love it, a world apart from any of your modern motorcycles.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oi TJ the maggot is a classic, amazing machine 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

GreaT! a chance to post a pic of my classic bike……

I dunno what prices are doing, and I don’t care, I paid good money for my bike and I love it and I ain’t selling it.

It’s the bike I dreamt of owning when I was 18, and when I ride it I am!!!! 😉

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I was considering a classic bike last year as an ‘investment’ (money sitting in the bank making half of eff all in interest) My thoughts were that if it didn’t make any money, I would still get the pleasure of owning/tinkering/riding it- rather than looking at a bank statement every now and again.

I had narrowed it down to a few bikes that i fancied – a Bonnie, Commando, Moto Morini 3 1/2, Laverda Jota. But when I started looking about & reading Classic Bike etc, I added more potentials every other week. CBXs, Katana, old beemers, moto guzzi etc. Eventually spunked my money on a ducati 2004 749r. I know its not a classic, but all bikes/cars become classics if you have them long enough 😛
    As strato says’

I dunno what prices are doing, and I don’t care, I paid good money for my bike and I love it and I ain’t selling it.

It’s the bike I dreamt of owning when I was 18 a wee bit older

Bedmaker if you’ve got the money, do it and enjoy it. If you take into account running costs, repairs, insurance etc you might not make any money, you might break even or you might take a hit- but if you get the right bike for you- you’ll have endless pride & pleasure.

I’m on the lookout for a red 1978 Mz 250 ts if anyone knows of a decent one 8)

StuE
    Free Member
    lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Just like this please

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Reckon you head to ‘New’ Europe or Turkey you’ll pick up any number of those, good luck riding them back though.

Anyone got a nice 400 Four?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve already got one useable ’80’s classic, am XBR500 but quite fancy another – perhaps an NS400R.

Classic for me means 80’s bikes, because that’s when I was a teenager just starting out with motorbikes, and those are the bikes I lusted after – even mundane bikes like Z400J’s.

Also wouln’t mind getting one of the bikes I had as a teenager – Suzuki X1, Honda CB125TB or Kawasaki AR125LC.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Strato – cool Kwacker. Are they as mad as their rep says?? Rode a 250 once, couldn’t get near a 500 or 750 when I was first on bikes….

konabunny
    Free Member

That RD350 looks ace. What are they like in real life?

Reckon you head to ‘New’ Europe or Turkey you’ll pick up any number of those

I’m not sure you could – Japanese motorbikes were practically not sold in the Communist countries (don’t know about Turkey) and motorcycling was never as big as it is here, so the only ones they have of that era will have been imported used from W Europe since 89 anyway. You’d find a few Soviet/Jawa/MZ etc but they’ll have been binned for being crap ages ago.

bedmaker

Reckon you head to ‘New’ Europe or Turkey you’ll pick up any number of those, good luck riding them back though.

Forget vineyard tours, architectural appreciation, lounging on the beach.
    That there sounds like the basis of a properly memorable holiday 🙂

Going to see a CB400 today. My old physics teacher had one for commuting and ruined it with a big screen and top box. There was always a nice wee bike lurking under it though.

bedmaker

anyone know Greek? Reckon a look on gumtree Greece might be a good idea 😆

Woody
    Free Member

Trick is to buy before it becomes really collectible rather than just a good used bike – so either raved about at the time (usually expensive and hold their value), or didn’t sell too well at the time for whatever reason due to market trends/fashion/cost……………….or odd looks. My ‘investment’, which happens to be wickedly fast and seriously underrated 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

Is that an RF900? In which case I’m not convinced it’ll ever be a classic…

Woody
    Free Member

😀

With performance like this for less than the price of a middling mtb, who cares 😉

MCN 5 Stars
    Reviews

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve just paid £900 for a 74 RD350B in bits

It’s going to be my retirement project in 3 years or so

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Reckon you head to ‘New’ Europe or Turkey you’ll pick up any number of those

I’m not sure you could – Japanese motorbikes were practically not sold in the Communist countries (don’t know about Turkey) and motorcycling was never as big as it is here, so the only ones they have of that era will have been imported used from W Europe since 89 anyway. You’d find a few Soviet/Jawa/MZ etc but they’ll have been binned for being crap ages ago.

I meant the MZ

konabunny
    Free Member

I meant the MZ

D’oh! I’m a pillock.

billysugger
    Free Member

I’d buy this and put it in the living room –

Niche

Can’t really see it depreciating.

Apparantly there’s money to be made in old sheds. I know of a guy in North Yorkshire who’s a garage full of old Capris, Cortinas, nothing mega expensive in their day but now they make him money when he loans them to TV and film studios. The Royal, Heartbeat etc

duckman

Konnabunny the lc’s are the best bike that Yamaha ever made, the sweet smell of two-stroke in the morning…..the joy of spending a couple of hundred quid to get a huge increase in power…The 500 was scary though.Get a later one with the ypvs. However they have ALL been messed with. (mine,bored out to 388,micron,carb,filter all messed with and I was skint at the time of owning one)

Plastic maggot is,was,always be gouping.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’d like an LC but I think it’d have to be the 500.

juan
    Free Member

firefly anyone 😉

anagallis_arvensis

seen a couple of Suzki GT750’s for less than 4grand that with attention would be worth much more prices of them seem to be going up. My old man had ones years ago so I kindof look out for them.

he’s currently got one of these which seems to be going up in value nicely

bedmaker

‘Found’ one of these today
    under a cover in a farm shed where it has been since 2008. Exactly like that one minus the screen.
    Casually asked the owner (who I am working for) about it. Serious badgering to commence tomorrow.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve got an original brochure somewhere for the California

sv

Remember reading PB at the time the RF900 was launched and the quote that has stuck with me is ‘it has a brake light from a Klingon Battleship’ 😉

sv

Oh if I was buying it would be an RGV and one of the banana swingarm versions.

bedmaker

love RGV s but that is a proper fast bike (until it seizes obviously) I couldn’t really trust myself with a fast bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Classic motorbike market – any experts?’ is closed to new replies.