Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Classic bikes…Investment potential?
  • mellowyellow
    Free Member

So.. there I was cycling around in circles waiting for pals to turn-up. Young lad rolls-up on his GT Chucker, Hey mister love your bike can I have a go? He turned-out to be quite an expert on bikes, Knew all about the latest Yeti’s and Santa Cruzes. Reminded me of 30 odd years ago when my neighbor got a brand new Capri 2.8i.
    Move on 30 years and said capri is now worth 4 times its new value, plenty of forty somethings with disposable income, so prices rising fast.
    The question is will little Jimmy buy his dream bike in 30 years time for 4 times its current value?
    If so is anybody stashing bikes away in prep?

Saccades
    Free Member

No, it’s a piss poor investment.

You need it to be top end, rare and immaculate condition and preferably with provenance of being ridden by a great/famous rider at a once in a generation moment.

Then it’ll sell for 20% of what you paid for it.

butcher

Capri was one of (if not) the most popular desirable cars of the time. Followed by Sierra Cosworth, RS Turbo, etc. That was a time when Ford must have made up a massive proportion of cars on British roads, and many people drove lesser versions of those cars…

Price of some cars is mad, mind. Many have skyrocketed just in the past few years.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Who know eh? If I knew my AT-AT I had in the 80’s was going to be worth so much now, I doubt I would have smashed it with a hammer to make it look more battle scarred.

edhornby

I’m not so sure that something so customisable can be a collectable – an e-type or a les paul or whatever comes off the line ready and complete save for a slight spec change in trim etc. but groupset, wheels, finishing kit are all fundamental to a bike that even on a spesh or similar will make it too much of a lottery – also there is no one bike that captures the imagination, there is real diversification (just look at FGF for the variety in ht, fs, bike packing, ss, yadda)

you’d probably be best off looking at road bikes like the dogma in the exact same spec as ridden by froome or a sagan style sworks

andyt1054
    Free Member

Slightly off at a tangent….. My old man has still got his sierra cosworth he bought in 1989 in storage, last time I checked I think it had done 17k on the road

mellowyellow
    Free Member

The general consensus then is bikes probably wont be a great investment. Shame as it would be a great excuse to buy a few more.
    Andyt105 Have you see the price of Cosworths lately? Please dont tell me its an RS500 as well.? Although I think they may have been earlier.
    Actually its worth nothing, Best sell it then and free-up garage space. email in profile.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Bikes are for riding. And fettling. And for sitting in the batcave.

Merak

Slightly off at a tangent….. My old man has still got his sierra cosworth he bought in 1989 in storage, last time I checked I think it had done 17k on the

Pics or it didn’t happen.

flange
    Free Member

Someone I know who used to work for one of the lesser sponsors of the SKY team has three ex-team bikes, including Froomes. He’s just had it repainted in his bike shops colours, so on that basis I’d say even ex pro bikes aren’t worth a lot…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You’re trying to predict what will be sufficiently desirable but unattainable to youth that people trying to re capture that youth in affluent middle age will seek it out.

And then you need to sell at the right time. Look at Raleigh Choppers, they were changing hands for four figures a few years ago, but every 40-something who wanted one has got one now.

Classics like original fat tubed Kleins are still worth less in real terms than they were new so not an investment, and the market for new road bikes is the same as for nostalgia buys, MAMILS, so I can’t see a burgeoning market for old Pinarellos, S-Works etc in years to come.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Classic bikes…Investment potential?’ is closed to new replies.