Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Civic type r buying advice
  • lee-bee
    Free Member

Having just sold my audi tdi I am looking for something practical but sporty around the 7k mark. I am worried about it being robbed or moreso someone breaking into my house for the keys. I have a family and I do not want to any one coming in the house. Do you think these cars get stolen nowadays or are they a a bit old hat.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I recommend joining the Civinfo forum.. 7K will get you something older (pre facelift) or higher mileage.

julians
    Free Member

Weve got a 2007 type r that weve owned since new, i dont think rhe thieves these day are too interested, but in 2008 my wife was car jacked at the trafford centre for hers. 3 blokes in balaclavas with machetes walked over when she was putting her shopping in the car and demanded the keys.

We got the car back a few days later and its been fine.

Shes covered 50000 miles in it since new, with no issues (apart from the car jacking) a sticking brake caliper and recently a leaking oil seal.

Great cars, good fun to drive, but a bit tiring on a long motorway journey

lee-bee
    Free Member

Cheers I will check out the civic forum. Been looking at the 2.2 diesel as well but just fancy a real change.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mum had a Civic K20 Type R and loved it. Make sure the wheels aren’t kerbed and has decent tyres. Hers needed nothing in 8 or so years ownership, other than tyres on a regular basis, but decided at 68, it was time for her to move it on…….

dyls

Youl get te newer fn2 for that money.

Mines done 103000 and averages 32mpg. Back seats fold flat and i can get a bike in without removing the wheels.

cookci
    Free Member

I have a 2007 type r and agree they are rock solid therefore suprisingly cheap to run.

I feel bad keep putting my dirty bike in the bike every weekend though and unfortunately roofs racks, tow bar and cycle carries all dont fit

survivor

You’re mentioned the 2.2 diesel. I’m sure the type r is more fun but I had the 5 door diesel as a company car and I loved it. It’s by no means slow and the space inside those things are amazing. They are like the tardis..

Even with a heavy foot most of the time it wouldn’t seem to go below 43mpg, I’ll definitely be considering one again although I’m no fan of the face lifted models. They just seem to have grown pointless plastic bits front and back.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Proper Type R

This is what you really want.

mcnultycop

My Mk5 GTi was better than my 2007 Type R in almost every way, but it’s the Type R I miss.

breadcrumb

Proper Type R

This is what you really want.

I was expecting a EK9, I’m a little disappointed. DC5s are nice though, my mates had a few.

LeeW

I was told by a colleague who used to work at Honda they had to reign in the 2.2 diesel as is was more powerful/quicker than the type R! I loved my 2.2, such a shame they don’t make them anymore. I have the 1.6 tourer now which is great, but the engine isn’t a patch on the bigger unit.

typer
    Free Member

I had a 2008 FN2 Type R (hence the user name) for 3 years and it really was a solid car and never went wrong in all the time I had it. You’ll definitely get a decent one for 7k. Like others have said they are surprisingly big inside and with the back seats down can hold loads of gear. Mine averaged about 30 mpg and servicing etc was pretty reasonable from Honda so they aren’t massively expensive to run 🙂

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I had a 04 plate EP3 type r (the best one!) for nearly 5 years and during that time it was faultless and I miss it more than any other car I’ve had. It was fast and fun to drive. MPG was about 30 if I drove it like a granny on the motorway, rear seats folded flat could get a bike in with front wheel off no problems. As said before it was pretty tiring driving it for long periods on the motorway but you learn to live with it.

£8k should get you a half decent FN2 which has the exact same engine as the EP3 but is heavier and has poorer rear suspension as they moved to the torsion bar as opposed to individual rear suspension that the EP3 had but the interior is nicer and slightly more comfortable. If I was going back to one I’d probably look for the GT model or if you like it in white the championship white GT as these had all the extras with it.

Edit: I’m with Rich on the EP3 and it’d be the model I’d buy again plus I think it looks nicer than the FN2 oh and get it in Cosmic Grey it’s the best colour 😉

richmtb

I’d be tempted to look for mint low mileage EP3s instead.

Obviously its older and a little bit smaller, but you would be unlikely to lose much money on it (if any) if you looked after it.

Nicer to drive than the FN2 type Rs

euain

Bought my EP3 new in 2002 – now done 135000 miles and no complaints.

It’s had nothing more than wear and tear items in all that time – and is still on the original exhaust. Roof bars and Thule racks for carrying bikes (or fold down seats and bikes in the back if it’s being left in the work car park).

It’s getting older and I keep thinking I should get a new car – but it’s still fun to drive and I can’t really see any reason to change it. Very cheap motoring now.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

in 2008 my wife was car jacked at the trafford centre for hers. 3 blokes in balaclavas with machetes walked over when she was putting her shopping in the car and demanded the keys

Jeeeeeezuss… 😯

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Civic type r buying advice’ is closed to new replies.