Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Christmas Cards – lovely or annoying
  • alessi
    Free Member

Hi there,

one short question: What do you think about receiving christmas cards from friends and family? I had a discussion with my boyfriend last night and he said, that christmas cards wouldn’t affect him in a positive way. But I think it’s a lovely little gesture of affection.

Please let me know your positions. I got the flu and have to much time to thinking after those little stupid things…

Rgds,

Alessi

wwaswas

[grouch]

It’s the 70p to post them that I resent and you can’t use 2nd class because people think they don;t mean enough to you.

[/grouch]

It depends – if they’re being done ‘because we ought to’ then there’s no point, if they’re sent or received as a genuine show of affection then that’s fine.

We send cards to people I met once 19 years ago when we got married and my wife hasn’t seen since, either.

Cougar

I think they’re broadly pointless. I got out of the habit a few years ago when I found myself stuck in the loop of sending cards to everyone I’ve ever met ever. People at work give a card to all their colleagues, sweet gesture and all but *I see you five days a week*. I had a bit of an epiphany and decided I wasn’t doing it any more, the only people who benefit are the Royal Mail (who have enough to do right now) and card manufacturers.

So I don’t send cards any more if I can help it, other than to people who I want to send a personal message to (OH, mother) or people I’ve not seen in a long time.

If I get cards I don’t mind, but I’m really not fussed either way.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If its something someone has taken the time to prepare, make, personalise – then its nice.
    If its lined the pockets of one of the “buy this tat because it should be done” shops then sod off – I’d rather not thanks.

johndoh
    Free Member

(Checks on Alessi’s forum history)

Is this a market research forum?

seosamh77
    Free Member

to men – pointless
    between women – nice gesture.

It’s that simple.

i haven’t given out a christmas card since I was 11, and I don’t know any of my male mates that do either.

Cougar

That too. Most people bulk-buy Xmas cards these days, but birthday cards are stupid expensive for what they are. If you had to pay three quid for the box your corn flakes came in there’d be an uproar.

brakes
    Free Member

they’re nice for people who want them and like to receive them.
    like homemade ones from kids to grandparents.
    the whole business of sending them to people because they’ve sent you one is the most annoying thing ever to occur in human history. ever.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I like to receive Birthday cards, Christmas and its cards can **** right off.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I gave my mum one of these – she didn’t appreciate it

This year she’s getting one of these – that’ll teach her to not appreciate my cards

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If i get any, don’t even open em, chuck em straight in the bin.
    Don’t get me started on New Year, bed at 9.00pm, asleep when all that auld lang syne b****ks is going on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Christmas curmudgeon threads get earlier and earlier, don’t they?

zippykona

A. It keeps me in a job.
    B . I think I’m not really that fussed.
    C. It’s a great way of maintaining contact with people you wouldn’t otherwise contact. Too easy to let friendships drift.
    D. In reality if I didn’t get a card I’d be sad.

project
    Free Member

a neighbour sends me the most pathetic smallest cheapest card available from a pound shop , goes straight in the shredder.

Worked in a large hospital, two women members of staff spent one day going through the internal phone book, looking for people/departments to send cards to total waste of time as was the upset and hate they felt when some people with a life didnt send one back.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

More schmaltz invented by the Victorians, who seem to be the inventors of everything twee.

Bah.

Humbug.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think that all the miserable folk in here should get double. Personally I’m fairly ambivalent on the issue. If it makes you happy to send them send them.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

a complete waste of trees.

njee20
    Free Member

(Checks on Alessi’s forum history)

Is this a market research forum?

Mmm, I did exactly the same!

binners

I’m a bloke. I don’t do cards.

Well… I don’t send them

I’ve just designed some and sent a couple of thousand to print. So I’m glad everyone isn’t as lazy, grumpy and inconsiderate as me 😀

weeksy

Irrelevent to me. Whether I get or send ANY has little significance in my life.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I send all my family and close friends a Christmas card.

Cheer up you miserable Scroogey sods!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

nice if between old and distant friends & relatives who wont see each other at christmas. between work colleagues, man & wife, mum & dad etc; utterly pointless! i dont send any personally.

my mrs will probably buy one for our 11 month old baby!?!?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I can’t really get worked up about it* although I do think the whole think is slightly ridiculous. I only really send them to close family these days, or people who I think might have particular reason to appreciate a bit of post to let them know they haven’t been forgotten.

*Work ones from people I don’t or barely know do annoy me.

granny_ring

Last Xmas we decided that we wouldn’t send Xmas cards but donate to a local charity instead. Did a general email/text to everyone concerned to explain our reasons.
    Not fussed with getting cards as half of them are from people you just hear from when they send a card!
    We’ll see if we get any this year. 🙂
    We will be doing the same this year too, donating to the Blue Cross animal charity LINKY who were great in helping us at Easter when we lost Felix.

aracer
    Free Member

I only send Christmas cards to market researchers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Cards – lovely or annoying’ is closed to new replies.