Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Choices for 1st time CX bike. 1x. Hydro.
  • medlow
    Free Member

Nice try Burnsybhoy.
    Far too big for me… 🙁

badgerbater
    Free Member

Don’t rule out the Giant TCX SLR1, a brilliant bike and can easily fit up to 40c. Give one a ride if you can. Very compliant ride and IMO the geometry is spot on. The only thing currently is Giants colour scheme, very marmite!
    Edit: actually the 2017 colours aren’t too bad!

swampi
    Free Member

Medlow, drop me an email,it’s in my profile

mauja
    Free Member

A bit over your £1,800 budget at £1,999 but I’m really happy with my Norco Threshold. Fairly light carbon frame and 1×11 Sram Rival Hydraulic.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What did you do with the front shifter on the SuperX Crashtestmonky? Did it flap about any once you removed the cable?

nothing, and no it doesn’t flap around or otherwise get in the way(it’s Sram, uncabled Shimano might be different). People who are hardcore remove the shift lever to save a few extra grams but I wasn’t convinced if I did that it’d ever go back on should I (or a future new owner if I ever sold it) want to go 2x. Pretty sure one of the US bike journos (Caley Fretz, Neal Rogers?) fitted a cable-operated dropper and hooked it up to the redundant shifter.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Maybe not your cup of tea, and only one of the range is 1x shifting, but what about something from the Boardman Elite range?
    I treated myself to their CXR 9 recently and I’m chuffed to bits with it so far.

medlow
    Free Member

LOVE the idea of a dropper post cabled to the redundant shifter!!!

A mate has just built up a Boardman CXR 9.8 (he got the 2015 frame silly cheap from ebay).. Its fabulous.!
    The current 1x 9.4 looks very tempting but just under £2k.

Ive just tried to get a test fit of a Cube SLT at my local bike shop but they are on back order.

I think I have my shortlist with a few ‘out there’ ideas too.
    I also have a mate in the US looking out for a Salsa Warbird frameset for me.
    Just need to wait for the right one to come up and I’ll then be on a new bike.. (and hiding it from the missus 😉 )

traversbikes
    Free Member

A bit over your budget but my Travers DIRTi fits the bill, 1x hydrulic brakes, Titanium!

medlow
    Free Member

LOVE IT!!!

medlow
    Free Member

Hey guys…
    So I pick my lairy green Bish Bash Bosh up on Saturday and very much looking forward to it..

I was very tempted with some of your suggestions but I could not better the BBB on cost, spec or looks (the latter being a very marmite look)

While obviously not an outright CX machine, for the few races I do attend it should get me around the course.. the rest of my otherwise flat singletrack riding mixed with the road miles and commute it should be perfect.!!

Thanks for your help!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Medlow, be sure to updated us on the weight of the BBB when it arrives 😉

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Travers, if you’re still reading this thread. Where are the rack mounts on the DIRTi? Does it have separate guard mounts too?

medlow
    Free Member

Will do Urban.
    I’m expecting low/mid 9kg.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Choices for 1st time CX bike. 1x. Hydro.’ is closed to new replies.