Viewing 34 posts - 161 through 194 (of 194 total)
  • Chipping cars… anyone done it ?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I see.. sounds great, just what I’d like 🙂

Perhaps they should look at super+turbo charging for their sporty diesels, like they did with the TSI. Or maybe stop mincing about and put the 4.2 V6 TDI from the Touareg in there.

Re throttle response tho, on my TDI it’s instant provided you’re in the right gear.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dammit, double post!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well if I fancied something nippy but want more than 40mpg, what else is there?

Lotus Elise, any diesel BMW (not the X ones though) with 20d engine or above, current MX5 might just do 40mpg, Boxster isn’t far off and probably loads more.

Oh and there isn’t a 4.2TDI Touraeg…;-)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Elise? Small and unrefined.
    BMW? Family saloon, not the same thing.

How about 50mpg? 🙂

There was, along with the 5.0l V10.

-m-
    Free Member

Pretty sure it was a V8 rather than a V6 (the 3.0TDi was/is V6).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – Audi did an 8 pot 4.2TDI – it never went into the Touraeg or any VW.

You either get a 3.0TDI (used to be 2.5) or a 5.0TDI (V10) – that’s it.

Define “nippy” then. A 320d for example is “nippier” than a TDI TT. It’s VERY good on fuel. Oh and how about a 123d? Small, coupe available, really rather rapid (over 200bhp) and “right” wheel drive with 45mpg 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah yes, the 4.2 is petrol. You don’t get the 5.0 any more tho.

The BMW 1 series is ok but the Scirocco is just about the most beautiful car on the road I reckon. Combined 53mpg UIAVMM.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – my utterly cr4p error. They have just started sticking a 4.2TDI in the Touraeg (in the last few months)! Dropped the 5.0TDI as you say and still using a 6 pot 3.0TDI. I missed that!

Scirroco is pretty but the 123d is better 😉

-m-
    Free Member

Mol – Audi did an 8 pot 4.2TDI – it never went into the Touraeg or any VW.

The new Touareg is definitely fitted with a V8 4.2TDi (in some markets), albeit not yet in the UK.

EDIT: As you’ve just spotted yourself.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not cheap tho, the 123d.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nor is a decently specced TT TDI.

Or Scirroco.

molgrips
    Free Member

Scirocco seems cheaper tho.

And definitely nicer.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Spend the money on sticky tyres, brakes and decent shocks instead.I reckon It’s a lot more fun to have the extra handliness than the power. Though both are nice.

No matter how much extra power chipping will give you, it’s never helpful if you’re upside down going sideways thinking “**** me…… how did that happen?”

That’s my opinion anyhow. others may differ etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Spend the money on sticky tyres, brakes and decent shocks instead.I reckon It’s a lot more fun to have the extra handliness than the power.

I reckon flinging your car around on country roads is more dangerous than the odd razz up a sliproad or overtaking on a straight. But there you go.

tonyg2003

With you there Molgrips. If you are interested in flinging a car to those extremes get onto a track.

If you want a buzz……an off the wall suggestion here……get on a mountain bike and rag it to the edge on a great descent.

molgrips
    Free Member

get on a mountain bike and rag it to the edge on a great descent

That’s what I do 🙂

jahwomble
    Free Member

“I reckon flinging your car around on country roads is more dangerous than the odd razz up a sliproad or overtaking on a straight. But there you go. “

You’re right, I agree etc, but I mostly use my cars off road or on the track, and going fast in straight lines is seriously dull.:) and on the road, I’d still rather have the ability to keep the rubber firmly stuck to the road in any conditions, straight line braking etc or otherwise than a few extra ponies.

It’s also quite reassuring to have the extra braking and handling in reserve for when some buffoon in a chipped up car with suspension and brakes not really up to the power, comes razzing up a sliproad or overtakes messily whilst in racing driver in a company car mode and makes a d**k of themselves:) etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would just consider a remap as a bit of a toy, not a genuine attempt at true racing performance. Pointless? Well, I don’t have one 🙂

jahwomble
    Free Member

I concur, for real perfromance differences, you really need to start looking at the induction and exhaust systems,cam profiles, balancing/blueprinting, weight reduction etc. Again thats just my opinion though, that and i like mucking about with cams and the like. stops me making a mess in the house anyway 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m rather tempted to study up and learn about fuel maps and then do my own. Takes a bit of courage to do that on your daily driver tho 🙂

What I really want to do is adapt engines to implement my new ideas on how to make engines more efficient. You’ve heard of the Otto cycle, the Diesel cycle, the Atkinson cycle.. watch out for the Molgrips cycle 🙂

jahwomble
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I spent many years mucking about with my daily drivers and can now rebuild and tune the c**p out of a ford pinto in my sleep, and y’ right it does take a certain amount of courage, and a fair bit of time begging the wife to drive you places to buy bits to replace the bits you’ve f****d up 🙂 best of luck with the molgrips cycle

NZCol

I’ve just booked the Rs4 in to get a stainless exhaust system and a remap. The guy reckons it’s pretty usable power increase with a smoother torque curve and better consumption for normal driving whatever that is in a rs4!! I’ll let you know how good it is/ was unless I park it in a tree.

Rivett
    Free Member

Boring

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting post rivet!

boblo
    Free Member

Goodness me. Boys, boys…..

OP’s question?

Yes. Two cars; A6 2.5 TD and recently A6 2.7 TD. Made a huge difference to the 2.5 (i.e. made it more enjoyable to drive and convinced me not to immediately get rid of it). Made a slight difference to the 2.7 though not so noticeable. Both cars return(ed) better fuel consumption (measured brim to brim) than before, neither car have exploded in a cloud of clutch lining and I haven’t ended up upside down in a tree (yet).

For me, I don’t drive like a ****t on the public road (anymore) and the remapps have made the cars more ‘driveable’ (probably means I can get up to top gear more quickly and lazily waft along in this context) and more economical. Where’s the downside?

Just done mine with a box from these fella’s DTE Systems
    , but sourced through Diesel Performance, who give decent forum discounts. It took literally 15 minutes to fit and I paid £335 inc VAT & delivery.

Read the bumph if you like, but it works. It takes the power of my 2.5l Ford Ranger TDCi from 143 to 175bhp and torque up to 400Nm from 330. The box comes with 4 different maps, with +/- increments for each map to adjust to your preference.

The general concensus is that they are the best system to use short of a full re-map. The difference is really noticeable in my (nearly) 2tonne truck.

I’m not overly concerned as to whether a 2.5l TDCi engine can cope with 175bhp, you would imagine it’s going to be ok – I’ve heard the Duratorq engines are pretty strong anyway. Not sure about the drivetrain, but as I’m not trying to light the tyres up at every junction I’d imagine it’ll be fine.

As for bigger brakes, I’m not driving into corners faster, I never drive above a certain (far from max) speed, but I do use the extra power & torque to breeze up hills without dropping down the box and it’s really handy for overtaking. I wouldn’t say I need any different brakes to the ones I have on now (when you consider it has a 1 tonne payload on top of it’s standard weight and can tow 3 tonnes, you’d hope they are ok to start with).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Is that a similar engine to our Landy Defender? It’s a 2.4TDCi unit used in the Transit. Only 122bhp but a useful 270ft-lbs of torque. Ours also weighs two tonnes giving a rather comical power/weight ration of not a lot.

nwilko
    Free Member

think of the runaway toyotas in the USA recently,
    part of the safety within your ECU is the system that is monitoring delivered torque to requested torque, the manufacturer has spent a great deal of time making a safe system and yet the bloke down the road offering a “custom” £300 remap can do a better job. Modern diesels are very easy to remap for more performance, but for £300 what work has been done to verify the safety system is still operational. IE a software error may not be detectable once youve remapped and the result can be a runaway vehicle..
    PS these custome £300-£400 remaps are normally available from a franchise sales service, most competing companies are offering similar remap gains hence its questionable what is “custom” about the vast majority.

molgrips
    Free Member

Remapping is just changing the fuel map as far as I know. That is, the bit that says how much fuel and boost to add for certain engine speed, throttle input and whatever else. The safety functions of the ECU will be handled elsewhere in the software.

A remap is not a complete reprogramming, it’s just changing a data set. Most cars contain many maps anyway that it’ll change itself according to the way you drive or even the kind of fuel you put in. All you’re doing is modifying a data set that’s designed to be modified.

nwilko – Member
    think of the runaway toyotas in the USA recently,
    part of the safety within your ECU is the system that is monitoring delivered torque to requested torque, the manufacturer has spent a great deal of time making a safe system and yet the bloke down the road offering a “custom” £300 remap can do a better job. Modern diesels are very easy to remap for more performance, but for £300 what work has been done to verify the safety system is still operational. IE a software error may not be detectable once youve remapped and the result can be a runaway vehicle..
    PS these custome £300-£400 remaps are normally available from a franchise sales service, most competing companies are offering similar remap gains hence its questionable what is “custom” about the vast majority

Drama queen……

In the unlikely event that my engine over-ran (unlikely, as the ECU & Mapping box both ultimately get the signal to feed more fuel from the same place), I’d be quite confident of my ability to knock the vehicle into neutral and slow down using the brakes.

nwilko
    Free Member

saftey function is a watchdog on the control system and thats the point here. the saftey systems are being turned off to allow the clunky remap to give you more performance. But i expect everyone that has had a remap had that explained to them at the time they handed their cash over (or more likely not) so they are (not) aware that their ickle black box now relies on them to step in and correct a software issue that makes the car runaway from them.

Vortexracing

Just a few facts on this subject.

I have a Tunit unit on my Xsara HDI diesel, it has been on for 3 years (50,000 miles) and has improved the BHP from 107 to 133 (rolling road shows this), more importantly the MPG has gone from 43 to an average of 50 over that 3 years.

The same unit was fitted to out Picasso, that showed a similar increase in MPG (via the computer display on the dash) and had considerably more torque and power, so much so even the Mrs spotted how much better it pulled. 😆

It has been totally reliable during that period. The miles per gallon improvment comes from one thing, having to use less throttle for a given speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

the saftey systems are being turned off to allow the clunky remap to give you more performance

Sure about that? I can’t see now the safety systems and the fuel map would be llinked.

The miles per gallon improvment comes from one thing, having to use less throttle for a given speed.

You use less throttle, but it’s putting in more fuel at that throttle setting. You can’t magically make the same amoubnt of diesel produce more energy.

The reason MPG can go up (as explained by a guy selling remaps) is that you can use the higher gears a lot more due to more torque at lower revs. The reason not everyone sees improvements is that not everyone drives like this, and if you spend all your time in top on a motorway it makes no difference anwyyway.

M6TTF
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    I guess it comes down to whether you really believe you brakes are overwhelming your tyres. Most modern cars have quite a lot of rubber on the road these days.

My Leon FR is really just a warm hatch and has 225 tyres. In the dry on the rare occasion I’ve had to call on all the braking power it braked in a straight line without triggering the ABS and pulled up pretty quickly.

My brother has an EVO VIII with 235 tyres and big Brembo 4pots his brakes can have you literally hanging off the belts without really troubling the grip of the tyres at least in a straight line in the dry. The difference in retardation isn’t down to 10mm of extra rubber on the road its down to the power of the brakes. If my Leon had these brakes I guarantee it would stop quicker

While I disagree that a chipped car will always need better brakes, tyres are definitely not the limiting factor to braking power in most cases

mailed you matey to pick your brain

Viewing 34 posts - 161 through 194 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Chipping cars… anyone done it ?’ is closed to new replies.