Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cheapest GPS thats suitable for mountain biking
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I’m after a GPS for mountain biking all I’m after is one which I can upload the GPX route to and then follow it on the move. It must attach to the handlebars I hate having to carry my Samsung S3 in my pocket and stop to look at it at every junction. Obviously it must be resistant to bad weather as well and have reasonable running times before batteries run out.

I don’t want to spend a fortune does anyone know the cheapest device that is suitable for purpose ?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have an edge 500 which allows me to do that. It has no maps, so it is just breadcrumb pre-programmed routes, but it works well. They are pretty cheap now.

trademark
    Free Member

Do you want to follow OS maps or would a black line suffice?

For the former, a few folk on here have rated the Garmin Etrex 20 as a good GPS for bike use. It uses AA batteries and are cheap-ish.

I’m also after a GPS to simply follow routes (my own and GPX files). Don’t want cadence/hrm/strava/etc and these seem to fit the bill.

I’m also looking at the Garmin Oregon/Montana for a larger screen version but you might not want, or need, to spend that much.

dawson

I got myself a second hand 800. Will show proper maps, and I can upload gpx routes to follow

jam-bo

Probably a garmin edge 200 or edge 20 if you are happy following a breadcrumb route

richardthird

Garmin Dakota 20 for £100 ish new + free talkytoaster full UK+contour map download. Works off std or rechargeable AA batteries.
    The £2 bar mounts off ebay work well in my experience too (or I’ve been lucky).

You download tracks and upload data through a USB cable to PC. Quaint but works.

Dakota 10 is a bit cheaper but the altimeter is less accurate and no card storage. Can still carry full UK maps and plenty of tracks though.

Etrex is similar but is chunkier and has buttons instead of touch screen.

m360
    Free Member

I asked a similar question a while ago. I’m close to buying an etrex 10 for £80. Not sure I need mapping at all so that does everything I’ll need, and wil be good for hillwalking use as well.

Blackflag
    Free Member

If you want maps chain reaction are doing the edge touring for £150

medoramas
    Free Member

Edge 200 works well for me. Assisted with either paper OS map in the backpack or uploaded on a phone – for reference, when I feel I’m lost 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cheapest GPS thats suitable for mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.