Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cheap yet decent SS chains?
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

Going SS for the first time for this winters riding, and have bought a few SS things to convert my current 9 speed setup to singlespeed.

Though have got stuck on which chain to get though, and I’m guessing I can’t use the current 9sp one, so, you wise singlespeeders any advice on what to get/look out for?

Though it must be relatively cheap!

Thanks

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You can use your 9 speed no problem

barrykellett
    Free Member

You can use it no problem.

but if you wan a SS specific chain, KMC z610 is the king

rp16v
    Free Member

i use 510s on 3 of my bikes and work superb have the rust proof one on my ss xc bike and gold one on the ss road bike 8) and silver on teh others

oldnpastit

You can use your 9 speed no problem

Not if you have proper 3/32 chainrings or sprockets, and a reasonable quantity of grit.

As I discovered while cycling round Kielder in the rain 🙁

So KMC Z610HX, FTW!

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Ahh thanks, would I need to adapt it at all to make it work or could I leave it?

I’ll check out the 510 and the 610, and thanks 8)

cuckoo
    Free Member

KMC Z610 HX

+1

soobalias
    Free Member

have you got a ss specific chainring and cog, or have you stuck with your 9spd middle ring and a cog broken from your cassette?

chrisjnr
    Free Member

I’ve got a SS specific cog at the back, but will be using a standard chainring.

Will this be a problem?

rp16v
    Free Member

v done it on road and mtb and has worked fine but u wont be able to use the same ring for 9spd again after.

soobalias
    Free Member

you will want a 3/32 chain technically..

but

http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

9spd will do most likely

charliedontsurf

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/kmc-z510-hx-chain-18-42-p.asp

And also the z610hx.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/kmc-z610-hx-chain-332-41-p.asp

Both excellent. Both around £12.

Don’t use a geared chain, they are designed to shift… And you don’t want that. A ss specific chainring will also be better for the same reason.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Thanks Charlie, will go and get a proper SS chain then…

another question though, what is the best chainring size to use, combined with how many teeth at the back?
    I’m planning 32 with 16 at the back, but would like to know what is generally considered as the best setup, not sure whether it’s too specific a question, to ask so ‘generally’ but would appreciate the help 🙂

Thanks

epicyclo

KMC K810SL is very nice.

goplastic
    Free Member

can you use a 8 speed powerlink with one of those 3/32 KMC z610 chains?

nsaints
    Free Member

Going for a KMC as recommended above
    The SRAM PC1 hasn’t last long at all until it’s now failed the chain wear gauge – approx one month is all it has lasted – about 400 miles 🙁

rootes1

anything made by wippermann.

drofluf
    Free Member

another question though, what is the best chainring size to use, combined with how many teeth at the back?
    I’m planning 32 with 16 at the back, but would like to know what is generally considered as the best setup, not sure whether it’s too specific a question, to ask so ‘generally’ but would appreciate the help

Really depends where you ride, how fit/strong you are, whether you prefer to spin, how much walking you want to do etc..

But 32×16’s a good starting point

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t go with a normal 9 speed chain at all, if you ride on decent hills and are reasonably strong they’ll be destroyed in no time. I’d also get a proper steel front chainring because anything alloy won’t last, mine has lasted about 3 months of riding twice a week, the wear is horrific because the force going into it is much higher. Hoping the on-one steel ring will last a lot better!

Del

2:1 is a good starting ratio. many people use 32:16 coming from gears because they re-use their front middle ring. if money and ground clearance are not issues though the more teeth you have the better the setup will wear.

PaulD
    Free Member

c,

Treat yourself to one of these rust-proofed KMC beauties at £6.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25653

Rotate your chainring 90 degrees after a few months…it does not need to be aligned as there is no shifting.

Replace alloy chainring with a steel one, and rotate that periodically to even up the wear.

32×16 is a good start, but it really depends on the terrain.

I prefer 32×18 whereas friends chose 32×17 for Swinley/Tunnel Hill.

PaulD

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheap yet decent SS chains?’ is closed to new replies.