• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheap overseas biking holidays (Pyrenees etc)
  • hora
    Free Member

Still possible? I’d like to do something like BasqueMTB but the Pyrenees back country is 1100euros before flights for 7days which is just too much.

One thing to mention- I’d need to take missus+bin’lid.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ciclo montana

nickjb
    Free Member

Still cheap to diy. Flights can be had cheaply. Plenty of cheap hotels or chalets. You can even do your own uplift in some places. The trails are free to ride, you just need to find them. Easier in some places than others.

hora
    Free Member

Where to stay etc? I really like the look of http://www.basquemtb.com/pyrenees-mountain-bike-tours-spain/

ventanarider
    Free Member

Sierra mtb in fuengerola. Good value, great location for families, pool, beach etc.
    Great trails and guides

Bregante

http://www.altitudeadventure.com

Went a few years back now but I’d love to go back. Top notch hosts, amazing food, plentiful beer and stunning trails.

Adventure Trails weeks – £525 including accommodation, meals, drinks (at the Mouli), guiding and skills sessions. This is our classic trail riding week. We recommend protection for riders, but it is at your choice

nickjb
    Free Member

Bagnere Dr Luchon is a good option for DIY. we stayed in a cabin on one of the campsites for much cheapness. Have also stayed in a cheap hotel too. Both very nice. Right in the heart of some great riding. There’s a massive uplift and the option to really get away into the hills If you happy to pedal.

Mackem

Go to Ainsa for a week. Waymarked natural routes near to where BasqueMtb ride. Nice town with outdoor pool.
    Getting there is the only arse. There’s a couple of campsites with cabins.
    http://www.bttpirineo.com/en

offthebrakes
    Free Member

AQR are pretty good value and great fun, quality well-maintained bike fleet (Cotics of various kinds) too.

vondally
    Free Member

We have always stayed DIY, I would recommend Bagneres de Lucheon, stay in the town and then ride cols and explore there is a network of trails you can find or guided with AQR really nice people, one star hotel is next to there base, cannot think of its name.

Basque country is great and trails run from Hondribba ( spelling?) lots more beach and surf area

Other side around Couillore (spelling?) is more patchy but up near Prades and Villefranche loads see VTT Prades, I really liked this stretch and further up the valley.

Ax les thermes and Foix were okay, personally disappointed but others rave.

My trips back would be luncheon then basque country

oh stayed in everything from gites/appartments, hostels, b and b through to log cabins in a camp ground.

Getting out has been flight and car, but known people take ferry to Santander and drive on.

I would not rule out some of the other areas away from the alps,

Vosages and Jura
    Dordogne
    Massif central
    Brittany for a cycle tour family thing is really good beaches bikes and loads of good campsites

ads678

Bit of blatant spamming but as it’s a thread about the pyrenees………

My Sister and Bro-in-law will be opening this place http://www.lesvoletsjaunes.com in July, It’s in the french pyrenees l’Ariege region. Lovely place and close to a few decent ski resorts with biking in the summer (Andorra, Ax, Les Angles), XC from the door step, some great road riding and about an hour an half from the med coast.

bright
    Free Member

Can’t quote the guy above but I stay in Belesta every year and would thoroughly recommend it. Loads of local xc, Ax les Thermes, Mont D’olme and even Andorra within easy driving distance. If you have a road bike take that as well as you can do some breathtaking riding right from your front door.

richardthird

Drive to the alps and take both bikes.
    Rent a family chalet at Campings Les Cascades with pool, at the foot of ADH.
    Ride just about the best roads in the world.
    Do an uplift day at 2Alpes.
    Walk up or ride down the Cheminee de la Balme.
    Ride the Mega and other marvellous natural type stuff.

fingerbang
    Free Member

whats the MTB like around bagneres du luchon? I know its a roadie mecca

nickjb
    Free Member

whats the MTB like around bagneres du luchon

Superb. A massive uplift with lots of routes down plus a load of more remote stuff.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I think I replied to your email Hora. The Backcountry Pyrenees is fully booked already for this year anyway, and we have several bookings for 2016. As I said we don´t do special deals because the margins are tight and it all sells out. The reason that trip is that price is because we have a dedicated driver and guide for every 5-6 people with van and special trailer running all around the mountains doing several uplifts each day and shuttling you between different locations. We have two days where we contract special 4×4 uplifts to get to the best stuff without spending all day climbing. We also use really nice accommodation and include 4 nice evening meals with wine. Then there´s all the new trails and extras we include which mean we spend weeks and weeks in the off season checking out trails, cleaning trails, talking to locals, testing restaurants etc etc. That´s the reason it´s that price. We could do it cheaper but we´d have to cut back on the things we offer or run with bigger groups, neither of which we want to do.

Anyway, justification over!

If you´d like a taste of the riding we offer then you can go to Zona Zero in Ainsa like Macem suggests. It´s a great way to do a cheaper holiday unguided. There´s lots of marked trails which are great. We spend 1.5 days there on our Backcountry Pyrenees tours so it´s only a small part of it but it´s a good place, run by good guys. You will probably have to do all the climbing on the bike because unless you are a group the uplifts are really expensive. You would be way better doing that if you´re taking your missus anyway because we tend to ride from dawn to dusk so that backcountry Pyrenees trip really isn´t for non-riders. The Basque Coast is better for anyone who wants to take a partner along.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Based right on the beach we are perfect for a combined biking/family holiday
    Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fun après-bike on the coast at night. Sandy beach, large pool and kids playground on tap.
    Toddler free and non-biking parent 40% discount with plenty of cheap flights into Malaga.
    Checkout our family info page.http://www.sierracycling.com/Families.html fantastic biking since 1992.

hora
    Free Member

Doug twas I. Ive got to save two weeks holiday for something this year so Im tight on funds/holiday. Thinking about it though, its not that much, I paid 1100e for a commencal frame last week which worked out cheap in sterling

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheap overseas biking holidays (Pyrenees etc)’ is closed to new replies.