Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cheap lights for night riding that won't
  • funkmasterp

Burn my house down or die mid-ride.

I’m finding time to go cycling almost impossible at the moment. My only real option is to go on a night after Funk Jr is asleep. Can anybody recommend decent lights (helmet, bar and rear) that don’t cost the GDP of a small nation? I ride roads to get to local trails and would probably be out from 20:30 to 23:00 or thereabouts.

Budget would be about £100 Max. Thanks for any recommendations.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Buy my 1500 lumen gloworm x2 in the classifieds and get a battery from mtb batteries!
    I’m open to offers

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

These get great reviews. £5 over budget tho..
    http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/the-lumenator/

zippykona

Time to repulse everyone again!
    The light is bright as the sun and cost £15. The mount was £5 so that leaves you a lot of money to buy some proper batteries with a decent charger.
    You can carry spare batteries so burn time isn’t an issue. It last for 3 hours on medium which is equivalent brightness to a mk10 joystick on high.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve found the cheap ones to be fine and well worth a punt. TBH They are way better than the posh ones available not that many years ago. That’ll leave you enough change to buy a decent road light as any of the modern night lights are really not suitable for road use. Way too bright and focused so they will dazzle any other road users unless you point them so far down that they don’t really light anything up. You can also save your batteries for the off road bit.

DezB
    Free Member

http://amzn.eu/3BnODCH

Still got one from about 3 years ago going strong.

100psi
    Free Member

I use a solarstorm similar to above from eBay and have done for 2 years now
    I use the rear lights from Aldi (they did a copy of the cob led rechargeable lights last year) and they have been excellent and are brighter than any others I have used and both last 3 hours

100psi
    Free Member

I use a solarstorm similar to above from eBay and have done for 2 years now
    I use the rear lights from Aldi (they did a copy of the cob led rechargeable lights last year) and they have been excellent and are brighter than any others I have used and both last 3 hours

funkmasterp

Thanks all. Plenty to look in to

carlosg
    Free Member

I’ve been running cheap Chinese lights for the last 15 years and haven’t managed to burn my house down yet . My first sets of Magicshine type lights were £50 each (the same thing is £10 now). The Solarstorm set I’m running now was £13.99 on fleabay.

smogmonster

Solarstorm X2 and X3s here – £15 – £20 from Ebay. When the batteries fail, as most do after a couple of years, simply buy more off Ebay for a tenner or so. The only lights ive found that are better are my Gemini Titans….and they were ten times the cost!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Aldi front light was £6.99 always in my bag as a get me home.
    2 Solarstrorm if I know I’m going to be night riding.

alric
    Free Member

zippykona – what is that?

stevied
    Free Member

alric – Member
    zippykona – what is that?

FUGLY 😆

zippykona

Alric, if you look for sky ray on eBay you’ll find the light.
    For the mount I cut down a qr water bottle cage and cable tie the light to it.

1timmy1
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brite-R-R-Vier-Led-Headlight-Black/dp

This on your bars.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B016DP3Z6G/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1497295159&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords

This on your helmet.

Both sold and dispatched by Amazon. I’ve got 6 Brite R lights and they all still work fine after a few years. Cheap enough to replace if you crash and brake one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cheap lights for night riding that won't’ is closed to new replies.