Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cheap hostel style accomadation ala Gite Vagabond (but not in Chamonix)
  • voodoochris
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking for cheap hostel style accommodation for a family ski trip in the February half term. The Gite Vagabond in Chamonix would be perfect if it were not for the fact it’s in Chamonix. I’ve got a 6 and 8 year old who are just learning to ski and I think Chamonix might be a bit tough for them. So I’m trying to find something similar in another resort. It doesn’t have to be plush, but cleanish and not loutish. France, Italy, Germany, Andorra, Austria,? Not too bothered, just want to get the kids in to the mountains.

Any suggestions?

Vc

jam-bo

UCPA do family weeks

ads678

What’s cheap?

voodoochris
    Free Member

UCPA (goes to Google…..)

Cheap, well it’s all relative. However, I’m trying to see if I can get a European ski holiday for less than 3500 (two adults, two kids) The problem I have is that it seems from the reviews that unless you spend a fortune with a premier ski company it’s very hit and miss whether it’s any good. And I don’t want to spend that kind of money and be disappointed. We’ve stopped at YHA’s in this country and had great time. So I figure, there must be something similar around the ski resorts in Europe. Hence the question. The Gite Vagabond would be perfect if the kids were a bit more proficient, however Chamonix is hard graded in my opinion and so I think they’d definitely struggle. It’s there first trip away and I want them to enjoy it and want to go again.

Vc

msjhes2
    Free Member

Try Gite Les Balabins in Ceillac. Small ski resort so cheap lift passes and should be good for learning with kids.

And some fantastic ice climbing if that takes your fancy.

voodoochris
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming folks….

ads678

We (2 adults and now 2 kids (7&9 been skiing since they were 3)) have been driving to the Alps (or Andorra) every year for the past 15 years.
    We usually assume about £500 for tunnel crossing, tolls and fuel, and we book a pretty cheap apartment £5-600 and cook in most of the nights we are there, but go out a few nights for meals.
    Kids Ski school this year is 300€ for both of them and kids ski hire is about 50-60€ each. We have our own kit.
    Then you have lift passes, we’re going to Samoens and a 6 day family pass is 775€

I make that about £2300 (ish dependent on exchange rates) which gives you over a grand for pissing up the wall!! Which won’t take long in a French ski resort…

It’s dead easy to drive to places like Samoens or Morzine, 8 hours from Calais. Just remember that Saturdays in February are busy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cheap hostel style accomadation ala Gite Vagabond (but not in Chamonix)’ is closed to new replies.