Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Cheap electronic shifting on the way?
  • maxtorque

Also worth noting the E-derailure has a “crash” mode where the motor (and geartrain) are disconnected from the parallelogram in the event of a big impact. (not something the mechanical mechs have, hence the hanger tends to get bent instead……..)

And whilst you still have to have a wire to link (and power) the derailure, that wire has a much larger freedom in terms of routing, because it doesn’t care about tight bend radii or straight lines etc

imnotverygood

I still hold that having to make sure everything is charged before a ride would be buttload of hassle. Spur of the moment ride, damn, forgot to charge (and I am very likely to forget).

Doesn’t happen (to me anyway) The battery hardly ever needs charging. Once every copule of months at the very most. If you need to charge more than that, the amount of riding you must be doing means that a mechanical drive train would need a load of TLC= more faff than charging a battery

Duggan

Speaking as somebody who loves riding my bike but hates maintaining it this seems right up my alley for the road bike. Like a lot of other things though I’ll probably “save” it for much later on when it’s cheaper and more prevalent. Charging stuff up doesn’t bother me at all, I’d be happy to lose the chore of changing cables and indexing gears.

nixon
    Free Member

Actually I don’t think this is true though they are very close, see here: http://www.thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2015-road-groupset-weights/

Pridds

Got Di2 and discs on the road bike and love it. You get loads of warning if the batterys going flat. You press and hold the shift lever and the lights on the box tell you how much battery is left. Do that after a ride and you know if it needs a charge. If it does go, the front mech stops working first so you get warning and then the rear mech will only shift up so you can limp back. (this happened once when i first got it)
    Current 29er is 1×10 which isnt ideal but if i had the money id have a 2×11 xtr Di2 set up to to shift sequentially on one shifter. Best of both worlds.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Will the Di2 rear derailleur work on the range 10t to 42t on my cassette?

Also if I go away for weeks, is there a way to recharge with a phone USB charger or do I need to carry a charging dock (which would be disadvantage) for me.

Saw a guy with a full 1×11 xtr Di2 setup last week and it was fantastic.

C

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Looks great, the battery life and price needs to improve and it’ll be a hit.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I switched from DA mechanical to sram etap- has not made me faster but my word it shifts well

njee20
    Free Member

I still hold that having to make sure everything is charged before a ride would be buttload of hassle. Spur of the moment ride, damn, forgot to charge (and I am very likely to forget).

Di2 charges enough for a ride in the time it takes you to take a piss. That assumes you’ve let it go flat, which you have to be a complete muppet for. Again, if you don’t want it, that’s fine. But you’re still talking rubbish.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cheap electronic shifting on the way?’ is closed to new replies.