Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Charging lights in an ammo box.
  • zippykona

I’ve just got my box. I’m going to drill a hole in it poke a cable through and seal around the hole.
    Someone on here said it needs to be vented. I’d like to leave it waterproof so I can charge overnight outdoors.
    What should I do?

jimjam
    Free Member

Buy some exposure lights.

zippykona

I have!
    My other batteries are from Torchy but I am paranoid about this stuff now.

jimjam
    Free Member

Well….um….congratulations on your belt and braces approach to fire safety. Sorry. As you were 😳

somouk
    Free Member

Make sure you paint out the 1.4 and UN carriage markings on the side, should have been done by whoever have it to you.

fasthaggis

Don’t just use it as a box for charging batteries,make it your new lunchbox to take on the train or international flights.

zippykona

somouk – Member
    Make sure you paint out the 1.4 and UN carriage markings on the side, should have been done by whoever have it to you.

It was a little souvenir I kept after I stormed the Libyan embassy.

Milkie
    Free Member

Great idea! But… What would happen to the box if its sealed and the battery explodes? Would it shatter the ammo box sending shrapnel everywhere? Serious question, I have no idea how tough ammo boxes are. I have some biiig Lipo batteries.

stumpyjon

Personally i wouldn’t seal it tight. Also make sure it’s not sat on something flammable, sit it on a couple of bricks.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Maybe dig a hole in the back garden, 3 ft deep approx, and at least 15 ft from the nearest dwelling.

Cover box with sandbags and you’ll be set.

zippykona

It will be on our patio. Would a box designed for bullets not be suitable for some 18650 batteries?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Zippy, you worry too much. Just stick it on charge in your kitchen or in the back of the shop sans ammo box and don’t leave it overnight

Edit: Mine’s sitting next to me on my desk at work as I ty…..YIKES! What’s that burning smell?….

squirrelking
    Free Member

Great idea! But… What would happen to the box if its sealed and the battery explodes? Would it shatter the ammo box sending shrapnel everywhere?

I remember at cadets a squaddie stuck a thunderflash in one, it blew out the box alright but it stayed in one piece (sans lid and fittings of course). Your battery will be fine.

zippykona

Anyway…back on topic. To vent or not?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Anyway…back on topic. To vent or not?

I think we have already.

Thanks very much, I’m here all week.

Try the fish

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d put a few vent holes under the triangular flap at the top. Rain won’t get in and air can get out.

zippykona

Thank you!

footflaps

I just charge mine on the kitchen worktop overnight. If they catch fire they’ll set off the smoke alarm.

Still here after 10+ years of charging Li-ions.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Are your batteries unsealed lead acid? If yes, vent, if not, don’t. The ammo box has more than enough surface area to dissipate any heat generated.

nickjb
    Free Member

Are your batteries unsealed lead acid? If yes, vent, if not, don’t. The ammo box has more than enough surface area to dissipate any heat generated.

Even in an overcharging, explosive situation? I doubt it. Better to let any expanded gas out through a few holes than build up until it reaches burst pressure. All very unlikely but it won’t take long to drill a few holes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d vent it but I’d definitely put that in a concrete bunker, you can never be too careful.

footflaps

Most Li-ion battery packs are sealed (air tight) anyway….

Northwind

Great idea! But… What would happen to the box if its sealed and the battery explodes? Would it shatter the ammo box sending shrapnel everywhere?

The actual explosion with a bike lipo isn’t the problem, it makes a mess and spreads burning stuff around but it’s pretty feeble- the danger is from fire. Though not just from the battery, also from the charger. (people are rightly nervous of lipo fires though, they are bad juju- fast and hot and self-oxidising so not easy to put out)

A charger bag would probably make more sense than an ammo box tbh but they’re less MANLY. A real charger bag that is, not some ebay rubbish. And make sure there’s no other fuel- I charge mine in the garage, not too stressed if it explodes because there’s little to burn, I set fire to everything flammable in there long ago.

That’s all true of all lipos btw not just cheap ones, we’ve had fires on this forum alone from most of the top brands. And from Dell and others too.

roger_mellie

<< Goes off to Google ammo boxes for sale, then gets unduly paranoid about browsing history >> 🙂

zippykona

I did look at those charging bags but guess what..There are cheap Chinese copies to be wary of!
    The box was £13. A lot cheaper than one of Mrs Zip’s sauce pans.

renton
    Free Member

You really need to piant out the markings it shouldnt have got to you like that !!

pictonroad

where did you get it from, I want one, for, you know, errr, I’ll think of a reason…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You seen how much gas comes out of a LiPo when it fails, sealed or otherwise?

Only until they fail while charging, then they give off “quite a bit” of gas.

footflaps

Only until they fail while charging, then they give off “quite a bit” of gas.

They mostly fail by just dying quietly and not holding any charge. The percentage which actually catch fire is minuscule. You’re more likely to be killed driving to work.

<< Goes off to Google ammo boxes for sale, then gets unduly paranoid about browsing history >>

I’ve just been googling making sarin gas after last night’s Homeland episode….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I know, but that’s not why people buy ammo boxes to charge them in, is it?

FWIW, i just charge mine on the workbench.

stavromuller
    Free Member

My battery pack exploded whilst on my toolbox lid scorching it quite badly, setting fire to the floor mats in the garage and leaving a streak of scorch marks along the opposite wall of the garage. Just regretted not having CCTV in the garage as it must have been quite spectacular.

PeteD

Fantastic! Expect a knock at the front door any day soon…

GCHQ will have picked up on this thread by now!

timba
    Free Member

benp1

What exactly are people putting in the ammo box? Just the battery pack, or the charger too (on an extension lead)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I know a few people who have had LiPo fires whilst charging although they have been the high discharge packs used in electric 1/8 RC car racing. One guy was lucky not to loose his house, it destroyed most of the kitchen as it was.

burko73

What’s lipo?

v8ninety

Lithium Polymer. same thing as Li-Ion really, for all intents and purposes.

zippykona

What exactly are people putting in the ammo box? Just the battery pack, or the charger too (on an extension lead)

I will put the female bit of an extension lead in the box so I can charge different types of lights.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Why must the markings be painted out? I’m intrigued!

Harry_the_Spider

To avoid any awkward conversations with these guys.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Charging lights in an ammo box.’ is closed to new replies.