Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Changing Rotars from 160 to 180, worth it?
  • jlc
    Free Member

Got a holiday planned in the Pyranees and wodnering whether it is worth changing the front rotar from a 160 to a 180 on Shimano XT brakes. Just wondered whether it is going to be worth doing to stop overheating and brake fade. Any help would be much appreciated. Presently have 160 on the back but thinking of keeping that as it is.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, do it.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Everybody should go 180….doubles your braking power. Do not hesitate. Take really fat tyres too!

Joxster
    Free Member

I got round the Alps on 165’s and it was effin’ hairy, I should have had 180’s at least.

dr_adams
    Free Member

so is it 180 to stop at? or go straight on up to 200?

hora
    Free Member

Im with dr_adams (no not on this topic, a sort of gay-marriage)

mudshark
    Free Member

I have adaptors and rotors so that I can switch between 160, 180 and 205 whenever I want; I use the big ones in Spain.

neil853
    Free Member

180’s front and rear would be ideal, but at least 180 on the front. decent dual ply tyres too if your planning on doing some DH stuff or at least some reinforced side wall tyres (conti protection).

jlc
    Free Member

Will it be worth changing the back to a 180 also, or won’t that make much difference?

dr_adams
    Free Member

do both… back is important when doing climbs as the front has no weight over it, so you need your rear grabbing well!
    (btw hora thanks for letting me know, did wonder how that night ended)

hora
    Free Member

I’ve run a 203/160? for a couple of years now. No worries about locking up the front etc (if that is a concern?), if anything a bigger rotor on the back will mean you lock up more? Front just gives you more confidence and stopping power and lessens the wear on your pads (or is that bit a crock?- kinda guessing there!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

if anything a bigger rotor on the back will mean you lock up more?

Only if you have no sense of feeling in you entire body, otherwise you just brake a bit less…..

😉

And…..

back is important when doing climbs as the front has no weight over it, so you need your rear grabbing well!

Please tell me why you need more brakes for climbing? Just stop prdalling and you, err, stop, yeah?
    Or do you like to drag the back brake UP the hills to make them even harder?
    😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

no, hora’s right – i’ve got a 185mm rotored hydraulic brake on the front, and a shimano u brake with the pads worn down on the back – to stop me locking up too much.

Rich
    Free Member

You will get more power, but my bigger rotors feel more grabby.

My favourite set up is 200/180, so yeah I’d do it.

neil853
    Free Member

you get the added control with bigger rotors, yes they have more power and can be a little more grabby but you adapt to that as you go on. the reason i suggested bigger rotor for the back too is for heat dispersion. you tend to drag the back brake to adjust speed rather than to stop, this dragging in the alps could/will be going on for up to 25-30 minutes! thats a lot of heat!

My advice 180’s front and rear.

Rich
    Free Member

you tend to drag the back brake to adjust speed rather than to stop, this dragging in the alps could/will be going on for up to 25-30 minutes! thats a lot of heat!

Makes sense.

dr_adams
    Free Member

Please tell me why you need more brakes for climbing? Just stop prdalling and you, err, stop, yeah?
    Or do you like to drag the back brake UP the hills to make them even harder?

for me, i find my back somtimes slips on climbs when i pause for a moment, in a trackstand kinda pose, so if i am wanting to just catch a breath for a second or just move pedals for a bump or something… makes sense to me but maybe i am just useless!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Changing Rotars from 160 to 180, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.