Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Changing car discs and pads yourself- would you?
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

Thanks for the Euro car parts tip off.
    I was looking at doing this myself and debating if the costs were worth it.
    Just for the fronts disc and pads the garage had quoted £230.
    Parts on euro were £105 so worth the saving (I’ve done it on a car in the past and can borrow the jack/stands off brother in law).
    Then I saw the CRAZY70 code at the top of the page. Put it in and the price dropped to £68 😀 😯
    Defintely worth doing it DIY for that!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

£4k 😯 That’s enough to replace the entire braking system.

Is this apprentice the sort who reaches for a lump hammer to free off a twopenny plastic clip from a grands worth of hardware.

bails

That’s pretty quick to need new discs on a 14 plate runaround

The gf has got a similar sized, similar age car and the pads are somehow down to a fag paper thick after ~25k miles. My (much heavier) car is at most 2/3 of the way through the most recent set of front pads after 50k miles.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Some cars eat brakes more than others.

My berlingo goes through a set of pads in 20k and needs new disks ,every second set of pads.

I’ve never in my life seen a family car go through pads so quickly. I suspect the brakes are just underspeced for weight of vehgle

bigyinn
    Free Member

samunkim – Member

You sure that you actually need the new discs ?

Garages will always try to sell you on them to maximise their invoice
    Thats a good point. I look after my bosses wife’s car. At MOT she was told that he pads would need changing immediately and were virtually down to the metal. Odd I thought, seeing as she does approx 1k a year and I’d only fitted new pads 18 months before. Even odder, they passed it for the MOT with NO brake advisories.
    I was expecting a seized caliper or similar which had worn down the pads on one side to nothing, but oddly enough the pad wear was very even on all 4 pads, with perhaps <25% of the pad material used.

breadcrumb

Just had new pads, discs and a pair of (midrange) tyres on the wife’s 14 plate Fiesta for £250.

I’d find a good independent garage if I were you.

I used to do my own brakes, but now I’m time poor it’s a job for the garage. Also if something crops up eg seized/corroded piston/caliper the garage is much better equipped at dealing with it.

taxi25
    Free Member

£132 seems a bit steep for parts, are those genuine bits ?
    You can go much cheaper and not notice any difference.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162488998173

aracer
    Free Member

£83 for the front axle on mine on ECP (after discount). Their prices seem to be very similar to ebay prices before discount. A timely thread for me, as mine need doing, though I also need to get some tools for it (but then I also have other jobs I need those for).

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find REALLY cheap disksand pads dont last long at all and can be noisy – some have even needed reshaping to fit in the caliper

I certainly wouldnt buy any that dont even mention who makes them.

At the last set of pads and disks i plumped the extra for the brembo disks and pads and the wife did make comment about how much better the brakes were …. i usually go for pagid as a minimum after i had a set of eichler (ECP own brand) last less than 6 months before the rear face of the front disks delaminated.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Changing car discs and pads yourself- would you?’ is closed to new replies.