Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • chainsuck and 1 x 10 conversion (again)
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all, I appreciate there are some other posts around about this….

I have been getting really savage chainsuck the last few rides, as the inner 24 ring is toast. Want to take the chance to convert to 10 speed.

I have the following:

Deore 10 RD mech (not clutch..?)
    HG62 Deore cassette (11-36)
    SRAM PC1031 chain
    Race face Comet 38/24 double cassette.

I was thinking a narrow wide chainring is required (30 or 32 teeth) and I’d like to fit a Hope T Rex expander, possibly if i struggle up the hills

What, if any, of the above can i keep to use with the new 10 speed set up? Ideally I would like to fit a n/w chainring on my existing cranks and the T rex on the existing cassette. Is that possible? Is a clutch essential?

Ta!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

*FSA comet chainset , obvs

warpcow
    Free Member

Is the Comet 3-arm or 4? You’ll have trouble finding a 3-arm n/w ring.

I’d personally say that a clutch is preferred. I’ve forgotten to re-engage it after having the wheel out before and not noticed a difference, but better safe than sorry. You could try it with the current mech first and see if it works for you.

AFAIK the t-Rex needs an XT cassette or higher because it has supports that rest against specific points on the cassette spider that just aren’t there on the cheaper cassettes. Could be wrong though.

ratherbeintobago

You’ll have trouble finding a 3-arm n/w ring.

They’re meant to be launching a 386 single ring (called Megatooth) which isn’t narrow wide but is meant to offer similar retention properties (image links to PB article), and should be available any time now.

z1ppy

I wouldn’t suggest that clutch rear mech is essential, but I believe they work quite well. My last chainring, didn’t get any chainsuck, & believe I got most of the life out of it..
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/nioBCz]Worn out?[/url] by z1ppy2, on Flickr

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

😯

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it’s four arm

Would a standard say hope n/w fit?

ta again!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry I was lazy, need to measure BCD I presume. Think I’m gonna try with just a N/w on existing cranks, keep my cassette and see how I get on , then spend more cash if required or when things wear out

ratherbeintobago

need to measure BCD I presume

If it’s this one, then it’s bog standard 104mm BCD.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yep that’s the one!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘chainsuck and 1 x 10 conversion (again)’ is closed to new replies.