Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chainset recommendations for Croix De Fer
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I have the 2014 Croix De Fer in black. I’ve recently completely messed up the thread on the driveside crank arm, so will be using it as an excuse to replace the minging silver Tiagra chainset that came with the bike.

Was looking at SRAM Rival and Shimano 105 but wondering if there are any other good chainsets out there that will suit the bike.

matts
    Free Member

Black Middleburn would look nice on the Croix

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a 105 on mine. Old style, looked like this:

Rock solid, and you can always get a deal on them with various CRC/Evans vouchers etc. New one looks even pimper now it has the Ultegra look:

iainc

What thread ? Do you mean the spline that the other arm goes on to ?

I had same bike and agree Tiagra dish looked crap, I’d go 105 if it was mine.

iainc

That all black one looks nice 🙂

treeman
    Free Member

I had a carbon truvativ jobby on mine – looked pretty good until it developed a strange ability of ejecting the left had arm!

mrblobby
    Free Member

All the Shimano ones look a bit rubbish on a thin steel tubed bike IMO.

looked pretty good until it developed a strange ability of ejecting the left had arm!

Funnily enough had that on one of mine until I paid attention to the instructions and torqued it all up properly. Been fine since.

justatheory
    Free Member

The new 105 one does look nice, but isn’t it exclusively for 11 speed, or does it not matter? Agree that the modern aesthetic of the shimano chainsets can look a bit incongruous with the slim tubes of the steel frame. For that reason I prefer the look of the SRAM chainsets.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chainset recommendations for Croix De Fer’ is closed to new replies.